Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 'session Must Be On An Audio Record Volume'
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Mac and Peripherals > Peripherals
vinrock
hello all

Just a quick question I'm hoping someone can help me with. Ive looked through the back postings and couldn't find any info on this.

I recently bought a new powerbook G4 1.67, 1.5 ram and installed protools le. My issue is with the external hard drive I also purchased. I was able to successfully load in old pt sessions I had on disc and open them fine, but Pro Tools will not let me save a new session to the hard drive. The hd is a Lacie 7200rpms, 800/400/usb D2 'extreme' everything is brand new out of the box.

The error message I get from Pro tools is : 'Session must be on an audio record volume'

i can save to internal HD no problem.

Do I need to change/enable settings on the hard drive? Any answers would be greatly appreciated. I'm at a loss.

Thanks!
td3k
You need to go into the 'Workspace Manger' and set the status of your LaCie drive to an audio volume. That will allow you to record to that volume. I don't have PT front of me now, but that is basically the procedure.
td3k
Make sure the 'A' and the 'V' columns read as a "Record" volume. (Not 'playback' or 'transfer')
vinrock
Thanks td That makes sense and I dont mean to sound like a complete dolt here, but i can't find how to open a 'workspace manager' in protools.

I do under SETUPS a 'Disk Allocation' but no matter what I do it's greyed out for me and can't click on it. I'm a long time PC guy, totally new to mac and protools. It sounds like once I can get in there and I can do what you say and be all set. Any ideas?

thanks!
VIN
vinrock
Nevermind, i found it. under 'window' show workspace (for any other newbie having the same issue)

thanks tk!
xpaceman
Hate to bug guys! However, I've ran into the same problem. Difference is when I go into 'Workspace,' The only HD it recognizes is Macintosh HD NOT my external Maxtor HD. How can I make it read my Maxtor external HD so I can modify the volume portion and quit giving me the "must be an an audio record volume" error.

Thanks in advance!
Cris
mortalengines
Go into the disc utilty section of your apps folder & your maxtor drive should be recognized & there should be a command there that will allow you to "format" your drive to be recognized by OSX.
jarradm
Mine still doesnt let me change the 'A' Column to record. How do i do it so that it will? and I was wondering if I should just use an external harddrive.
madams
Thanks td3k! Totally sorted my prob : )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.