Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cue Mix Ableton Live With The Imic
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Music Software > Live
djbijker
I have an Ibook g4 and an IMic. I started working with Ableton Live and I would like to cue the headphone signal through my in-built soundcard and play the master signal through the IMic (or the other way round).

I think I need something like an ASIO driver but I havent found the rihgt on yet.

Does anyone know what I can do? Preferebly cheap/free and not having to buy a new usb audio interface.

Thanks
ruben
td3k
If you are running Tiger you can do it. You need to open up 'Audio MIDI Setup .app' and set up an aggregate device. This will allow you to set up a virual interface that includes the iMic and the built in devices together. Then, in Ableton, choose that device for your audio output in Ableton's preferences. Once Ableton is configured to use a multi-channel output device, it will allow you to choose a seperate output for cue. cool.gif
djbijker
QUOTE (td3k @ Dec 10 2005, 02:45)
If you are running Tiger you can do it. You need to open up 'Audio MIDI Setup .app' and set up an aggregate device. This will allow you to set up a virual interface that includes the iMic and the built in devices together. Then, in Ableton, choose that device for your audio output in Ableton's preferences. Once Ableton is configured to use a multi-channel output device, it will allow you to choose a seperate output for cue. cool.gif

YEAH HAAAA!!! DAMN YOU ARE CLEVER!

Im sorry but I just cant control my enthousiasm right now. Thanks a million I've been trying this for months and almost gave up. I didnt even know that whole aggregate thing existed. Im really happy. Thanks.

I have a G4 1.33 mhz 768MB. Do you think it runs stable with this setup? Do you use ableton? Wicked, init?

Cheers.

Ruben
td3k
QUOTE (djbijker @ Dec 9 2005, 22:01)
I have a G4 1.33 mhz 768MB. Do you think it runs stable with this setup? Do you use ableton? Wicked, init?

Yes, Ableton is a wicked prog! It has fast become my favorite for quickly composing songs, remixes and mash-up, and just plain jamming out with.
I cut up drum and bass, downtempo, funk, dub, etc. with it.

I run it on an iBook 900 G3 640MB and it does just fine. If I use a lot of plugs in a large song it starts to dog my CPU, but, its generally solid. So I figure your G4 1.33 will do quite nicely. biggrin.gif

...I think its time for my employer give me a laptop upgrade wink.gif
lithiumdave
I know this thread is a year old now, but I'm hoping someone might still be monitoring it...

I'm trying to do exactly the same thing - use an iBook with Ableton (6), and have the main stereo output thru an iMic, and the headphone cue out thru the internal headphone socket. I've gone into Audio MIDI setup in OS X 10.4, have tried to set up an aggregate device, but just can't get it to come together.

If anyone has a moment, I'd be so grateful for a more detailed walk through.

Many thanks!
lithiumdave
Never mind, figured it out by myself in the end!
Mac Daddy
Never mind, figured it out by myself in the end!

lithiumdave... Be nice. If no one could help it's because they did not know, so many "variables" to take into account. You now have the distinction of being smater than the rest regarding your problem. So, tell us "How did you do it?" Please..... For the next one of us who encounters such a problem. Glad you solved the problem. Bravo. Tech issues can cause you to loose sleep, consumes time and energy. Smooth sailing.
mortalengines
Actually Dave I understand that you posted the second reply just so no one would waste their time trying to help you out but I personally would be fascinated to hear how you did it. I don't have Tiger just yet but it sounds like I would want it and an iMic or however the hell this works. Please fill us in. I work with Ableton & this sounds like a great way to run loops on the fly when you are "jamming" with other musicians without having to buy something like an Echo DJ card or something like it.
OM3GA
can someone please walk me though this cause i've been trying to no success at all, please help

thanks
ben
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.