Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Importing Dvds And Video
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Getting Started
brianjones
I have on DVD, recodings of live shows I have put on and want to import the DVD to my new iMac, which I just got a couple of days ago.

The only software I have so far is what comes with the new iMacs.

Can I, using the exisitng software, import from a DVD? If so, what program do I use? I have a superdrive on the iMac.

I have had Macs before but never dealt much with video.

If I need additional software to import the DVD in order to edit it and burn it, what are some names I should consider?

Also, since my digital video camera is not here yet, the live shows I have had recorded have been done on VHS and digitized on someones PC and put on DVD, which I now want to import to my iMac. What do I need to import directly from VHS tapes? I don't have access to the guys camera and I sure don't want to buy a VHS since I have a Canon XL2 coming soon, but I do have lots of footage on VHS.

Thanks

Brian Jones
gdoubleyou
When you look at the files on the DVD you should see a few folders. one will contain the video footage.

you can import the video into iDVD, you will probably have to create chapter markers, for the navigation.

With an app like Toast platinum, you can drag and drop the folders into Toast to make an exact copy of the DVD, as long as the files are not copy protected.

cool.gif
cascabel
Hello Brian,
to transfer Analog VHS into your iMac you need an analog converter, f.ex. DAC-100 of datavideo. Check out www.datavideo-tek.com. This one's converting your VHS tapes from your camera or VCR via Firewire-Plugs into the mac. The converter has cinch-plugs, DV and also s-video for input and DV-output (Firewire). You can record the input-data to your storage device using iDVD. For burning DVDs you need an app. like Roxio Toast. The older version 5.2.3 works better than the newer one 6.xx.
But check out first the Mac-software-section of www.download.com for cheaper apps. There you can find some fine apps like:
- OSEx 0.0101b for eliminating any copy protections in DVD files.
- DVD2oneX for downstuffing files to 4,7 GB or lower to fit on an normal CD.
Cascabel
brianjones
Thanks. Wealth of information here. I love my new iMac and am looking forward to recording a live show. I have Presonus Firebox on order.

Brian
smackintosh
aren't MAC's cool...much cooler than the dreaded PC !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.