Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re-configuring A Keyboard For Use With Midi Inst.s
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Getting Started
IcedB
Hi,

I have an assignment due for this monday coming. We are doing a project at university on midi.
Part of the project is to assign a keyboard so that it runs more than one device. I've managed to crack this part

The hard bit:

How do i split up the keyboard into two or three parts, so that certain keys will play certain notes on one midi instrument and othe keys in different sections of the keyboard will play a different instrument?

If anyone could help with this I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Ben Frost
lancet
That completely depends on the keyboard. some can be split , others can't.

Typically , on the keyboard it self, you would assign a note range to a midi channel. sometimes called a "zone".

The keyboard would then transmit to multiple midi channels.

find the documentation for your keyboard. that should help.
IcedB
So, there is no way of simply assigning the keys in logic pro itself?
Francois Déchery
From what i remember from the days when i had time to spend (to loose) using Logic, this can be done , using objects ("midi splitter" or something like that) wired to the midi input, in the environnement page.
formatj
You will need to set up 3 "transformers" on your "Clicks and Ports" page in the environment.
In the environment window choose New>Transformer

Set up your page so it is similar to the picture below:

Double click on each transfomer when you have set them up and assign settings exactly the same as in the images below. The only thing you should change is the note range for each transformer. I assume you can see how I have done this for each transformer (each one represents the three keyboard split zones).

make sure you select "Apply Operation Filter non-matching events" for each transformer.

Transformer 1

Transformer 2

Transformer 3

This will split your keyboard into 3 separate MIDI channels. You then assign these different MIDI channels to different sounds.
formatj
Are you wanting to trigger a single Multi Timbral Software synth/sampler or various software synths or external MIDI instruments?
That's the next stage.

A single Multi Timbral instrument is easy.
Set up an Audio Instrument and make sure that MIDI channel is set to "all" in the parameter box.
Load your multi software synth and assign sounds to the corresponding MIDI channels.

One way to send to multiple instruments, be they exernal MIDI or internal software synths, is to create a channel splitter in the environment and assign this to your arrange page track i.e. you play your MIDI notes to this object in the arrange page . Use the far right tool in the environment toolbox (the MIDI connector with arrow symbol) to assign the channel splitter to the arrange page instrument. In the environment cable the channel splitter to your various instruments. You can hold down the "option" key and click on the output cable from the various MIDI channels on the channel splitter. You get a pop up list of instruments to assign each channel to.

That's it!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.