Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mackie Onyx 1640 W/firewire In/out
440 Forums > English > Audio > Mixing Desks
Gojinx
Has anyone test driven the Mackie ONYX 1640 with the firewire output card. I 'm putting together a mid priced studio setup based around a dual 2.5 G5 and Logic.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.

All the Best!
jbsound-com
Gojinx,

I haven't personally used them but everyone I know that has one really likes them. This is what I know about them so far:

- They sound better by far than the older vlz mackie stuff.
- The firewire output is pre-EQ and just about eveything else. This is good because when recording you want to take in the purest signal possible. You can probably eq better with a software eq than what the mackie can do. Plus, if you're in a live situation, you can EQ as necessary and you don't have to worry about screwing up your recorded signal.
- The A/D converters on it are very respectable
- The preamps on it are the best in the price range for that board

Overall, I think that they are well liked by everyone that has one. I think it's about time that someone came out with that kind of functionality at a good price.
dubpl8s
I have had a 1620 for awhile and its the BOMB!
- it sounds awsome live
- its ultra flexible
- hella convenient
- etc.........
only thing that sucks is live situations where you dont need a mixer but you need an interface
jbsound-com
What do you think about the pre's and the eq? How flexible is the software and how easy is it to hook up and use?
Gojinx
"only thing that sucks is live situations where you dont need a mixer but you need an interface"

How so? Too big for just a few needed inputs into a computer?

What software are you using with it to record? Using core audio? Problems with latencey?

Gojinx
dubpl8s
Yes it is pretty big, for example i played at a house party last week in a really cramped space and I had to stick my onyx under my keyboard stand!

- The Eq is really nice you can cut highs but it still has a nice airy sound. my only beef is sometimes the resonance in the mids seems a bit high

- I am using logic pro 7 with no latency or core audio problems

- I like the pre-everything approach cause I would rather have as pure a signal as possible.
jbsound-com
Yeah,

I think that the the best thing they did on that board was make the firewire sends "pre" everything. I would much rather have a pure signal for recording than have it go through all the other eq's, etc.

How are the preamps on the board? I've had a lot of guys telling me that they are way better than the older mackie stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.