Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firepod, Cubase Sx2, Powerbook 15"
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Audio, MIDI, DSP Cards and Interfaces, Controllers > Presonus
Mitch323
Hi everybody.

I use my Powerbook 15" 1.25 Go OS10.3.8, Cubase SX2 and Presonus Firepod as sound card. My problem is I need to reset audio/midi utility (Mac), change the sampling rate until synchro works properly and set up Mulitrac VST connections in Cubase. After doing that, the Presonus turns off every now and then... So I have to set everything up again. Sometimes it won't work so I'd restart the computer...Not very pleasant in recording sessions! I know Presonus do not provide any driver for Mac users.
Anyone familiar with this issue?
Any help more than welcome!

Thanks
lepetitmartien
Presonus doesn't provide drivers because the Firepod is supported directly by Core Audio in the system. No need for drivers.

Now Presonus provides a clock source app for SPDIF.

To get back on your problem, have you run Apple disk utility after the software install? It's a current problem of bad permissions on some files (unix stuff…). It may be that. (hope hope)

Have you just bought it or is since the 10.3.8 update that the problem arised? wink.gif
lepetitmartien
Thanks for your reply. I've always had the same problem with OS10.3.6, 7, and now 8. There was no software included for Mac! Only for PC! I bought the Firepod in September 2004.

General reminder, don't email/PM the team to continue the troubleshooting, answer in the forums s that everyone can learn a little too wink.gif

Now…

Have you repaired permissions? Please. smile.gif

Do you use some power conditionner or at least a filter on mains? It may be bad main power causing hiccups.

From the download page at presonus, it is supported from 10.3.5 on… but unfortunately you're the first here complaining, I've searched the forums and people were only expecting the firepod so no help there.

From my search elsewhere, reactions are from enthusiasm to problems similar to yours, the only solutions were : don't plug anything FW on the mac save on the FW port remaining on the firepod. Also the firepod doesn't like being on a long time. Switch it off at least every 2 days.

Now the issues seem to be difficult to trace and solve. Have you contacted presonus? sad.gif
Mitch323
Thanks again for your answer.
Yes I repaired permissions, I use the system in several places where the main power seems ok, because the other electric devices don't do hiccups nor suffer from drops whatsoever. It's weird, because it works fine at times... but at times only! Or it may bug once, I'd restart the whole thing, and it's cruising like a dream for long hours! But I should eventually contact Prresonus
lepetitmartien
Yep, it's been bugging me today… your Firepod may be really faulty in some way. unsure.gif

Is it getting hot? (to the point you can hardly touch) huh.gif
Mitch323
Hey lepetitmartien!

I actually can live with that as long as it only bugs once! But sometimes I need to restart a couple of times, then it's a pain in the a..! I'll try to contact Presonus anyway and keep you posted (via this forum...Sorry about the e-mail but I'm not very familiar with forums.)
lepetitmartien
QUOTE (Mitch323 @ Feb 15 2005, 20:56)
I actually can live with that as long as it only bugs once! But sometimes I need to restart a couple of times, then it's a pain in the a..!

Do you restart? Or do you power the computer off, wait 20 seconds then power it up?

Try the second option wink.gif if you do always the first.
(via this forum...Sorry about the e-mail but I'm not very familiar with forums.)

No harm done with the email, but I receive about 10 of these I can't answer per week. it saves time for me and it beneficial for all. Now… it's the second time you post your answer twice, have you some connection problem?
Mitch323
Yes my server was getting busy or something! Sorry about that...
Mitch323
I actually always restart... But I'll try to turn i off for 20 sec!
lepetitmartien
No harm done wink.gif

The power down/wait/powering up is sufficient usually for all the ports to be reinitialized. Which can help a lot in your case wink.gif

I've tried to look if there was a firmware update for powerbooks but the last one for G4 is from 2002, so no help his way. cool.gif
Mitch323
As a matter of fact, i work on an external hard disk (7200 rpm) which happens to be a lot faster than my internal drive. It is connected to Firewire 800. I read about the fact that according to presonus, external hard disks must be linked to the Firepod (it says it needs to be last in the chain) otherwise it may not function properly. So I sent an e-mail to Presonus and received a quick
answer advising to connect my external hard disc to the Firepod (Firewire 400) and connect the Firepod to the Powerbook claiming that the Firepod can't even take full advantage of s400 speed...It should help, this plus your tips... Again, I'll let you know...
Mitch323
I tried to link my external hard disk as last in the chain: I don't seem to need to do the set up in audio/midi utiliy.... It works right away... BUT after an hour or so, the light turned off again for a couple of minutes... I decided to wait untill it would turn on
again (red this time) meaning I'd need to do the setup again... So only a slight improvement... I'm having a long session on next Friday, I'll report what happens...

Thanks again, you'll hear from me soon,
Mitch323
Hi there!
After a bunch of long recording sessions, plugging my external hard disc as last in the chain, I experienced a lot of further trouble... I actually also own a second Firepod that I intended to use later, when more than eight tracks would be needed...
Unable to solve the problem, I decided to try my second Firepod for 3 sessions, each lasting 10 hours in a row... FLAWLESS!
I didn't even have to do any set up, my Powerbook would immediately be happy, and the Firepod's light was shining blue for good! I reported this to Presonus and they told me that I was right, my Firepod unit is defective.

Thanks for brainstorming!

Groove on!
lepetitmartien
If we can help wink.gif

(Spank Presonus for us wink.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.