Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remixing Acapellas In Logic 7
440 Forums > English > Audio > Technique and Tricks > Studio
Derok
Hello,

I am looking for any advise from folks who are using Logic for doing remixes with acapella audio files.
I've noticed that the timing of Logic's metronome doesn't stay consistent with the timing of the audio that I imported into the arrange window. I've gone as far finding the full music versions of certain tunes I want to remix, to help establish the bpm; but the sequencer always gets out of sync with the track after going for a while. Is there something inside Logic that I need to set up in the "preferences" to keep things synced within the program. Any syncing tips would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

D.
Gojinx
I've been using Logic for over 10 years now (from V 2.0)-and one of it's strongest virtues is that the audio and Midi are always in sync. I have run into quite a few cases where I get projects and tracks from other studios where the audio just doesn't match the supposed tempo, especially from PC sessions. I hate to say it-but youd be best off with getting the "full mix" from the source studio-client, drag it into Logic-and put a metronome under it-if for example you've been told that that the song is at 135 bpm and you get the start of the song in sync with the mix, but by the end your click and mix are way off-then you'll just have to adjust the tempo to a finer degree-for example 135.467. I know it's a pain-but if you visually see the first beat of the "mix" and align it the the first bar of the (Logic) song-then jump to the end-you'll see how far you've drifted. This is a lot more difficult with just vocal tracks-I'd recommend you to get the studio give you the click track used on the session as a seperate audio file so you can see if your tempo's jive.
You can rest assured that the audio and the midi don't "freewheel" after start point.
coldharbour
If you've obtained the vocals from "unofficial" source and it's a known track, check out the BPM from the Internet - there are several DJ BPM databases available. As said above, Logic is rock solid with tempo, if you get out of sync it's because you got the BPM wrong.

If it seems you just can't get it exactly right, you can slice the vocals into smaller bits and then manually nudge the bits into right places. This works fine most of the time if you have the BPM 99% correct, because there will always be small rhytmical inaccuracies in every audio file that's done live by a human and not sequenced by a computer.
zebastian21
QUOTE (coldharbour @ Mar 14 2005, 10:29)
If you've obtained the vocals from "unofficial" source and it's a known track, check out the BPM from the Internet - there are several DJ BPM databases available. As said above, Logic is rock solid with tempo, if you get out of sync it's because you got the BPM wrong.

If it seems you just can't get it exactly right, you can slice the vocals into smaller bits and then manually nudge the bits into right places. This works fine most of the time if you have the BPM 99% correct, because there will always be small rhytmical inaccuracies in every audio file that's done live by a human and not sequenced by a computer.

i use logic pro 7 for remixes all the time, but when working with vocals...the best you can do if you dont have the correct tempo , its just using the best time/streaching out there ABLETON LIVE. even if you dont have it just download the demo version...to find tempo and change tempos of vocals/tracks is soooo easy. then you can export that to logic, even with a different tempo. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.