Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just Bought Garageband2!!
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Music Software > GarageBand, Soundtrack
angryman
Hello everyone!

I went to the Apple shop on Regent St on saturday and bought iLife '05 purely for GarageBand 2 after trying a demo of the first GarageBand.

First impressions are that it's pretty good but on the first version I tried, when you dropped a loop or an audio file in to the time line, it automatically adjusted the pitch to match the global tempo of the song.

This doesn't work with my new version and I can't figure out how to make it work... Does anyone know what I need to do?

Also, any other tips and tricks that may be relevant are also welcome!

Apologies if this is blatantly obvious but I am a little on the stupid side.

Thanks!
Vissequ
Haven't used the new GarageBand but look in the preferences to see if there's anything about automatic pitch and tempo adjustments.

These are APPLE loops you are using, right?
angryman
No these are my own loops made in Reason or Sound Studio... (Pah! Apple loops, I think not! The included loops are pretty cheesey)

Anyone out there know how to get GarageBand 2 to automatically sync the tempo of audio files that are dropped in to the timeline?
bogh
I don't think Garage Band can sync them automatically.
You need to convert them to Apple loops using the Soundtrack Loop Utility which shoul be in your Utilities folder
Vissequ
Yeah that's why. I believe that only Apple Loops have the ability to syncrhonize and adjust tempo.
angryman
that is so strange... I tried a demo of the first GarageBand and you could drag and drop any audio file in to the time line and (hey presto) it would tempo match it for you...
bogh
Are you sure?
Sounds more like Ableton Live.
angryman
ooops, your right! it was Soundtrack not GarageBand, how dumb am I...

Does anyone know where I can buy Soundtrack? I have iLife '05 I would love to swap if any one wants!
editbrain
you are getting confused i think. you have to use a utility called apple loop utility. it is free. you use this to add data to your waves so that GB can time stretch them for you without loosing pitch. it might be in your applications/utilities folder.

there is no need for you to buy soundtrack.

export your loops from reason. open them in the apple loop utility. add some notes, change the tempo, key whatever you want. then click the save button.

when you open the loop in GB the new loop will work as you wish.

happy recording,
editbrain
bogh
Apple has discontinued the Soundtrack application, so you can no longer buy it. even if you find someone who is willing to sell their copy I would advise against this, as ther will be no more updates for the program.
More information about Apple Soundtrack here
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.