Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drum Machine Advice
440 Forums > English > Synthesizers > Digital
jimmynitcher
Hi, a drummer friend needs a drum machine to copy ideas from and help him set up complex polyrhythmic ideas etc is there one that's good for a programming novice or even one made for drummers to help with their technique?
Is there one perhaps that has visible grids that change depending on the meter you choose per drum as in a sequenecer on a computer?
cheers
J
natobasso
It's older, but you could do pretty well with the Alesis DR-16. You can get one for around $125 now (new they were $250).
jimmynitcher
Thanks very much for your help - I couldn't find the DR 16, did you mean HR?
If he wanted a Hi Hat in 6/8 and a Bass drum in 5/4 would he be able to do that ?
Thanks again I really apreciate your suggestion.
And they are cheap!
J
jimmynitcher
Thanks very much for your help - I couldn't find the DR 16, did you mean HR?
If he wanted a Hi Hat in 6/8 and a Bass drum in 5/4 would he be able to do that ?
Thanks again I really apreciate your suggestion.
And they are cheap!
J
jayzen
I believe he means the Alesis SR-16. I have one, it is a great value. Its great for many styles except 'synthesized electronic music' drums sounds - most of the sounds and more 'realistic', which is what I use it for and I love the results...

You can create patterns with it, but I use a computer sequencer (Digital Performer) for that, so I've never tried it...
natobasso
Whoops. Yep, I meant the SR (not DR) 16. As far as time signatures, you may have to fudge your different sigs for different instruments. For example, create a bar that adds up to the bass sig and the snare sig (17/8 or whatever it comes out to) and then make it work.

You can record patterns without a click to totally personalize your drum pattern, but then you have to be very precise while hitting the buttons on the machine since you can't quantize in that situation. smile.gif
natobasso
Looks like 16/8 might do the trick, and you'd have two times around in that one cycle.
Labonza
Another vote for the SR-16

Sounds good, easy to use and cheap. smile.gif
Labonza
Another vote for the SR-16

Sounds good, easy to use and cheap. smile.gif
sterling
Why bother with any mere hardware machine? There's a great new program from Canada that actually does everything you mention in your posting, and more--all in software. It's still being improved, but the developer is a whiz (i.e. intelligent) and it will probably soon become the outstanding creative percussion tool for the Mac. Name? Doggiebox. Get it.
jayzen
I like the SR-16 for its flexibility

No expensive updates, no drivers, no operating system crashes. Press the button and it turns on. 4 analog outs and midi in/out thru.

With this type of thing there is no conflict with other pieces of software and it has an easy to use interface that does only a limited set of things. I think it is a nice piece to add to a studio, and can always be combined with other pieces, like software and hardware... plus you don't need the computer to use it, you can just plug it into the mixer and tap away...

But of course software has its advantages, too.

-j
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.