Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Question Of Balance
440 Forums > English > Audio > Technique and Tricks > Studio
Jaysee
Hi, at *long* last all my gear has arrived and I'm currently trying to figure out quite where everything should go. A couple of fairly basic questions before I plug it all together so that I dont electrocute myself and fry my new G5 etc:

The set up comprises a pair of Tapco S5 monitors, a little Tapco 6306 mixer, a Kurzweil 2661 kboard, EMS VCS3, nord modular. G5 2Ghz with very sexy new style flat 20" cinema display, DP, Maudio delta44 card and breakout box, Maudio midisport 4x4.

I'm a bit baffled by the fact that almost every input and output on almost all of the equipment seems to be in the unfamiliar form of *TRS* stereo balanced jack sockets.

In premidi years gone by I always used 'ordinary' presumably *TS* mono jackleads from my gear into an amp or submixer onstage when I was playing, so I dont really understand why the modern gear uses stereo connectors for every socket. Even the main L+R outs on the synth are TRS.
...surely that doesnt mean there are 4 ch of information, like Left(left and right) plus Right(left and right) I'm a bit perplexed. I've read a few definitions of balanced vs unbalanced but am still pretty confused. Can I use plain ol' mono jack to jack leads to connect everything up even though most of my gear seems to require these mysterious TRS sockets, I've waited such a long time (4months for some items!!)for these fancy new toys to arrive I dont want to f**k it all up before I start, so I'm a bit nervous.
Also: Any recommendations on speaker stands for the two Tapco S5s, they're small but quite heavy. I'd keep them to the L and R of the flat panel display as that has a very small footprint, but I'm not sure if its bad for an LCD display to be near strong magnetic fields, I know it isnt recommended with CRT.
God there some really silly unexpected ergonomic problems to get around. like if I stand the kurzweil on the lowest 'rungs' of my OTT ancient three tier keyboard stand, my view of my slick new monitor is partially obscured by the damned stand!!!
I ought to lie down, cheers, jaysee.
Jean Christophe Sabatier
a TRS permit stoppin' interference cause between tip and ring exist a "dephasage" of 180 degree thanks to the transfo .
Jaysee
Hi soundchild6969, re TRS I'm not very technically minded I'm afraid but I think I know roughly what you mean, something along the lines of noise cancellation by inverting the offending noise waveform by 180 degrees so causing it to disappear? Or maybe I misunderstand? Anyhow cheers for the info, JC
Jaysee
Hi soundchild6969, re TRS I'm not very technically minded I'm afraid but I think I know roughly what you mean, something along the lines of noise cancellation by inverting the offending noise waveform by 180 degrees so causing it to disappear? Or maybe I misunderstand? Anyhow cheers for the info, JC
Jean Christophe Sabatier
sorry for the waiting but i had many projects .
you understanded what i tried to explain you but why are you afraid?
Francois Déchery
something along the lines of noise cancellation by inverting the offending noise waveform by 180 degrees so causing it to disappear?

you're right Jaysee. Balanced equipments reduce noise this way. But this works only if both side of the connections are balanced. If you use an unbalanded source that goes into a balanced input, you would loose the benefit of the balanced wiring.

Be carefull that in this case you would have to use a mono wire (TR to TR) and not a stereo wire (TRS to TRS), because using a mono would leave the "cold" point of the balanced input not connected to the ground which may cause problems on some gears.

He is the picture using a stereo (TRS) cable:

Unbalanced Source cable Balanced input
(+) ------> (+) -----------> (+)
() -------> (-) -----------> (-)
(ground) -> ground ---------> (ground)

In this cas the (-) is left unconnected.

He is the picture using a mono (TR) cable:

Unbalanced Source cable Balanced input
(+) ------> (+) -----------> (+)
(ground) -> ground ---------> (ground)

Due to the way a female jack socket is done, the (-) will also face the ground of the male jack inserted into it, thus connecting the receiving (-) to the ground...
The way unbalancing should be done in most modern gear.

HTH
Jaysee
QUOTE (soundchild6969 @ Oct 27 2004, 19:05)
sorry for the waiting but i had many projects .
you understanded what i tried to explain you but why are you afraid?

Sorry for the confusion, I'm not feeling afraid or terrified, its just one of those surplus english turns of phrase, along the lines of a slightly apologetic "I am sorry/regret to say," which come to think of it is fairly meaningless padding or *conversofroth*(my original word to describe intrusive bits of babble like "you know?" which together with "No worries" and "Have a nice day" seem to punctuate most peoples conversation nowadays. The latter being especially irkesome when intoned drearily by a blank faced, sullen, gum chewing shop assistant, who clearly doesnt give a damn if one has a nice day or not.
I think I understand the TRS thing now. Thanks:-) jaysee.
Jaysee
QUOTE (soif @ Oct 27 2004, 20:43)
Due to the way a female jack socket is done, the (-) will also face the ground of the male jack inserted into it, thus connecting the receiving (-) to the ground...
The way unbalancing should be done in most modern gear.

HTH

Hi soif, thanks for the info and helpful diagrams on the TRS question, I think I get it now. Cheers, Jaysee.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.