Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Garageband Vs Logic 7 Express - Hardware Requireme
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Music Software > GarageBand, Soundtrack
nreyes
- Even though I primarily use a Pro Tools LE & 002 setup, I have to admit that I like messing around with Garageband from time to time (especially to try some of the Audio Units I have which are not RTAS compatible).

My question is this:
- In a few months time, I am off to New Zealand for a while and I am not taking my OO2 with me (due to weight restrictions - I am packing for several months worth of stay down there, I am not lugging my 002 with me, unfortunately!).

Since Pro Tools is not 'standalone', I want to keep working on some tracks with my G4 Powerbook (1GHz / 1Gb RAM) in the same way as I do with Garageband, but wanted something like Logic Express 7 to take things a bit further (i.e. I need more functionality than GB but don't need a replacement for my excellent PTLE setup which I will use when I get back next year).

So, in short.....Has anyone had the opportunity to compare Garageband & Logic Express in terms of the hardware requirements? Does it 'run faster' than Garageband, or is it CPU hungry for more or less the same number of tracks and apple loops etc.?

Thanks for any help you can give. Basically, I am worried that I will fork out on Logic Express only to find that it is not much more 'usable' on my Powerbook. Unfortunately I haven't been able to see for myself because there is no "Logic" demo.
shaneblyth
I have seen a few posts on this on another forum..
www.osxaudio.com or one of the other Logic forums but it seems that Logic/express/pro is easier on your system than garageband is doing the same sort of things obviously.
so go for it.
Being a New Zealander have fun when you come down.
I have a 17" 1.5ghz powerbook with a gig of ram and havnt recieved my copy of logic 7 pro yet b ut looked into this quite a bit before buying being a new logic user and having muddled about with garageband which seems o be a bit of a hog

cheers from Queenstown New Zealand

shane
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.