Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Live Improvisation
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Music Software > Live
jarret the goblin king
Hi,
Im an electronic musician and i am currently working with a small jazz group. i am looking for some software that i can use in a live set,i need something that will allow me to improvise freely with the band. An obvious choice is something like reaktor,but im a bit skint at the moment and was looking for something a bit cheaper.

Does anyone know of any software or decent share/freeware out there that will allow me to improvise in a live set?

I'd appreciate any suggestions,
Thanks.

Also, off subject. Does anyone know of any reviews of Logic 7 on the web. I've read all the stuff on the apple website but im looking for something slightly less biased.
lepetitmartien
What do you mean in the impro universe? Treatment? Sequences? Sampling?…

The mains sequencers are not tailored for live jobs, but you could check :
- Ableton Live
- Cycling'74 Max/MSP
- Plogue Bidule

Links in the Soft section.
arvidtp
for REALLY cheap (free) you could also try Pure Data - a Max/MSP type thing that is not quite as friendly, but does do stuff.

Also free are MacCsound or Supercollider - but you would have to learn their respective languages - they are much more "grow your own".

and Sonosphere is a really easy to use sampling app which lets you manipulate audio objects in 3D...

there are also a number of free/cheap MIDI manipulators around.

But Max/MSP is the King of all for realtime stuff. I never regret purchasing it - it will let you do ANYTHING if you just play with it for long enough and get familiar with how it works.

I got a list of free mac music software with links on my site, look under "More Experimental" near the bottom of the page. Also under MIDI if desired:

My Free Mac Music Software Guide

have fun with that! sounds awesome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.