Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cubase Sx3 - Powerbook G4 (last Try On This Forum)
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Music Software > Cubase & Nuendo
jccmac
Hi everybody, Im new in the forum and in the mac world! I posted my very first message yesterday and I have had no repplies so far, I'll give this forum one more chance!
I have always worked with cubase on a pc and I finally swithced last week. I'd like to know if anyone have tried cubase Sx3 on a powerbook, specially on a g4 1.5 ghz, 15 inches. Please tell me if I'm going to be able to use them together.
Thanks!
Mr. Walsh
QUOTE (jccmac @ Oct 1 2004, 13:37)
Hi everybody, Im new in the forum and in the mac world! I posted my very first message yesterday and I have had no repplies so far, I'll give this forum one more chance!
I have always worked with cubase on a pc and I finally swithced last week. I'd like to know if anyone have tried cubase Sx3 on a powerbook, specially on a g4 1.5 ghz, 15 inches. Please tell me if I'm going to be able to use them together.
Thanks!

I'm sure you'll be able to use them together. I'm running the same machine as you. However, I use a lot of software synths and I can do very little with this combination. Granted I'm running SX2, but I've heard that SX3 taxes your system more. So I'm rather upset that I have this new powerbook, but can play as many soft synths as I did when I had my Blue and White G3 400 running cubase 4.1.

What I am considering doing is getting V-Stack and hooking that up to my old computer which has been upgraded to a 800mhz or my home built PC. It's sad.. I'm curouse to know if Logic 7 taxes my system the same.

I've also heard that the screen redraws are the same.. so no improvement on the perfromance.

I may be wrong, but this is what I've read on KVR-VST.com... and they seem to have there head around this stuff.
macyu
From what I heard, the performance of Cubase is the worst on the Mac. I only used SX1 and Digital Performer on the Mac, but from what I hear, Logic is the best performing, then Digital Performer, then Cubase. I don't know about ProTools, but I assume the LE version performs similar to DP, and the HD is unlike any native DAWs. The reason I was convinced that Logic has awesome performance is that there are still many people with the early Titanium Powerbooks running Logic and doing a lot of tracks. Apparently, the way Logic performs well is because all of the bundled plugins are integral to the program, so it is highly optimized to how the program works without the overhead of a plugin structure.

hope that helps
macyu
I forgot to mention another thing. The Powerbook *is* capable of a lot of things, but it seems like settings are also key. An author for Electronic Musician magazine wrote an article for optimizing OSX for audio. The feature was based on Digital Performer, but here are the exciting results:

"My PowerBook went from cpu spiking and dropouts running 15-16 tracks of 24/44100 audio (that had run just fine in OS9), to being able to smoothly run 52 tracks of 24/96k audio with the cpu monitor running at 50%. All on a 667 Mhz PB with 512 RAM. (Running OSX)" (from Jim Bates on OSXAudio.com)
Mr. Walsh
QUOTE (macyu @ Oct 1 2004, 16:13)
I forgot to mention another thing. The Powerbook *is* capable of a lot of things, but it seems like settings are also key. An author for Electronic Musician magazine wrote an article for optimizing OSX for audio. The feature was based on Digital Performer, but here are the exciting results:

"My PowerBook went from cpu spiking and dropouts running 15-16 tracks of 24/44100 audio (that had run just fine in OS9), to being able to smoothly run 52 tracks of 24/96k audio with the cpu monitor running at 50%. All on a 667 Mhz PB with 512 RAM. (Running OSX)" (from Jim Bates on OSXAudio.com)

Do you have the issue number?

Also, I could run a lot of Audio tracks, but when VST is used.. bamb.. I'm dead in the water. But I hope his tricks work.
lepetitmartien
QUOTE (jccmac @ Oct 1 2004, 14:37)

Just give people time to come in and answer… smile.gif There's a lot of people around but each one answer as he wants and no one (save maybe me) has a look on every forum herre, this is a community of users, just not your regular paid support line where they are bound to answer you (well… they should wink.gif We give real day by day advice based on our personal practice. But if no Cubase user is around for 24 hours, and wiiling to talk back… We can't do a thing about it sad.gif BTW I've deleted your other thread as it was doubling this one.

And you've had your answer wink.gif

You're most welcome jccmac ! cool.gif

As a general notice, as Cubase/Nuendo seem to ve rather quiet around, I'd be VERY interested by some reports on the way they work: bugs and so on (in a dedicated thread… please)
gdoubleyou
Sold my SX2 licence, because performance was poor when compared to DP4, and Logic6. It choked my 1GHz Powerbook, I was unable to playback sessions created in Cubase5, on a G4/400.

From my observations SX2 used 40%-60% more CPU with the same load, when compared to Logic and DP4.

If you want to use SX on Mac I suggest a newer Dual cpu G4, or G5. Better yet a PC.

You will probably be dissapointed with the performance on a single cpu machine, especialy if you're coming from PC land.

cool.gif
Mr. Walsh
QUOTE (gdoubleyou @ Oct 5 2004, 23:43)
Sold my SX2 licence, because performance was poor when compared to DP4, and Logic6. It choked my 1GHz Powerbook, I was unable to playback sessions created in Cubase5, on a G4/400.

From my observations SX2 used 40%-60% more CPU with the same load, when compared to Logic and DP4.

If you want to use SX on Mac I suggest a newer Dual cpu G4, or G5. Better yet a PC.

You will probably be dissapointed with the performance on a single cpu machine, especialy if you're coming from PC land.

cool.gif

I'm thinking of taking a step into Logic 7. Seems like a good move because it's dedicated to OS X as am I and Cubase SX for the mac seems to have many issues.
macyu
The EM article I mentioned is this one:
http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_tracking_big_cats/

There's also a really lively discussion on this subject here:
http://www.osxaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.p...t=11403&start=0
Mr. Walsh
QUOTE (macyu @ Oct 6 2004, 06:20)
The EM article I mentioned is this one:
http://emusician.com/mag/emusic_tracking_big_cats/

There's also a really lively discussion on this subject here:
http://www.osxaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.p...t=11403&start=0

As well as another discussion on OSXAudio

http://www.osxaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.p...er=asc&start=15

I bought the mag for the article... it's interesting. I've been doing a beta test on my old Blue and White G3 400 (800 mhz upgrade).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.