Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I Need A Hardware Based Compressor ?
440 Forums > English > Audio > Effects and Treatments
shaneblyth
I am setting up my home studio and wanted to know if i require a hardware based Compressor for the vocals as I record them or if there is a way to get round it and compress as I record with various DAW software.. like Logic, Ableton Live 4 or Tracktion?
I am trying to save a little money and this is not a commercial studio as I am sure you have guessed but I definitley want to compress on recording then do a little more in the mix stage on the Vocals
tunetwister
I use A hardware based compressor so that I do not clip going to the ADC's. You can get away with out one by making sure you have your levels under 0db and they never clip.
FinnB
Recording through a compressor is a "destructive" action, like EQing. There is no turning back. I'd record the vocals 24 bit and below clipping. Then you can compress afterwards by taste, DAW or outboard...
Dave Bourke
I faced this problem, too. I solved it by buying an Aphex 207 dual tube preamp. It has built-in mic limiting circuitry. It doesn't compress, obviously, but it ensures the artist won't clip on input. I love it. Worth its weight in gold. And very reasonably priced, too.

Good luck!
tunetwister
I try to record well bellow 0db to allow head room. I only use a compressor as a safty net, I set it up as a limmiter. I actualy only put limmiters on possible trouble tracks, most tracks just the from the board to the Audio interface, not limmited. Yes you can realy mess up a recording with commpression. I should have made this clear as many people here are new to recording.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.