Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help with final mixing
440 Forums > English > Audio > Technique and Tricks > Studio
Noella
I recently bought some equipement. I sequenced my song in Digital Performer 3.02. And then I recorded it using MOTU 828. I plugged in my sound module (Roland XV-5080) directly to 828. I checked the levels in DP and then recorded my song (in stereo). Everything works perfectly. My song sounds great! I exported my file as aiff and listened to it. I sounds very quiet. I made a copy of it and listened to it at work (good speakers) and it just sounds 'stereo.' The sounds sounded trapped.

So I went home and tried to use the surround sound settings in DP. Then I exported the file again. And it sounds the same.

Why is my soundfile so quiet and how can I make it sound better? Do I need to buy another equipement and program? Am I missing a step?
Ged
Sounds like you need to try processing your tracks/mix.  'Compression' is a good starting place for getting a little extra 'punch' out of a mix/instrument/track etc.  Basically, it's too in-depth a topic to go into here so I'd recommend investing in a subscription to the UK publications 'Computer Music' and/or 'Future Music' (vols 30 and 114 respectively) to get you started (better yet, visit computer music's web site www.computermusic.co.uk for a free tutorial on compression and other fx etc).  In terms of software, yes, you'll probably need to invest in a good dedicated program or plug-in (or, if you have the money, a hardware device).  Of the software I've tried, I'd recommend waves' 'Native Gold/Platinum Bundle'.  As the name suggests, the package consists of an extensive range of quality fx (including multiple compressors) for processing your music.  Also includes the 'L1Maximizer' for squeezing even more db's into your mix.  Hope this helps a bit.

R            
Synthetic
I also suggest maybe trying T-Racks. There is a plugin version and stand alone version. I use this to master my tracks for final cut. It will let you use compression, EQ, a limiter, and add tube warmth to your tracks. Its not very difficult to use either with lots of presets and manual config as well.

By the way, the surround sound processing in DP will not enhance stereo.... its only useful if you want to mix sound for multimedia that uses at least 4 speakers (5 speakers ultimately) to create 3D sound.

The only other advice I can give is to think about how you pan your instruments. If they are are in the middle then your sound will be mono and seem 'trapped'. Try making bass sounds and drum sounds fill the middle... they are more efficient that way and other sounds like hats, cymbals, synths, guitars and such can be panned to left or right or maybe even L & R especially if its a synth pad sound to create wide sound field. Rock music is usually mixed with the concept of where the instruments are on a real stage so you might even use that approach. Checkout intermusic.com (sister mag of the ones mentioned above) for tips on mixing and effects.
Noella
thank you very much. It is very helpful. My recording sounds my better now. I used the masterworks functions in DP and it helped give my music more depth. I will check out T-rack.

Thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.