Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cubase Sx Vs. Protools
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Music Software > Cubase & Nuendo
Lord Pasty
Okay guys. Here's the deal... (Hear me out on this one, I need help!)

Here's what I got: iMac 1GHz with 512MB, a 5.1 surround stereo (used as my monitor), and a Korg Triton Le. A friend of mine also has (at my dipsosal), my old iMac G3 400MHz w/512MB and a PowerBook G3 333MHz w/128MB (important later).

Here's what I want to do: I want to be able to record (duh), but not just digital stuff... I have a lot of friends that write/play around with a lot of accoustic guitar and drum stuff. They aren't too serious, but they would be good practice... and they ARE my friends. I want to be able to write and record my artsy/fartsy digital stuff. As much as I love all the stuff my computer can do, though, I love outboard effects and would like to use a lot of those in the future. Right now I'm rebuilding on a budget after all my old stuff burned to the ground. Hopefully that paints a decent picture...

Here's what I need: Sequencing and Recording. It comes down to, for me anyway, Cubase SX or Pro Tools Digi02 Rack.

Here's what I know: Cubase has good Virtual Instruments, but is pretty pricy, as you have to buy something along the line of EMagic or M-Audio FireWire Hardware. Cubase also has "System Link" (Remember all the aforementioned older toys laying around? I can use something like Reason and sequence with those while recording with the newer iMac). ProTools is the industry standard and has a great repuatation, plus the 02 rack is pretty well priced (considering). In addition, Pro Tools is a little less of a strain on the processor, I've heard. Hell, they were running on my exact same computer at the local music store, and it was running like a champ.

I have friends that use both, so I get a learning curve, regardless.

I'll be having to make a decision in a couple of weeks. It would be great to see someone have a full on opinion on the matter. Cubase has recieved such respect these days that they seem to be a contender, so let your opinions fly! Look forward to the input.
lepetitmartien
mhmm, you should dive into the search engine wink.gif

Compatibility wise, either would do, but mind that Cubase is more MIDI centered than Audio, and than PT can do most what people need in MIDI. PT Free can even be used by your friend (there are limitation though, ence, it's free…).

If you want a bit of MIDI, lots of moving around in the audio files, PT is da man. If you want virtual instruments Cubase may be a better bet.

It depends a bit on how you will work…
Latner
Logic Audio Is the best in my opinion.
Lord Pasty
Thanks all for the input. Since that post a revelation has occured. It seems that Logic Pro 6 is completely full of virtual's of it's own and it's completely Pro Tools worthy. That should carry a steep price tag but should work great with what I got, according to the buzz. cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.