Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does Anyone Still Use Cubase?
440 Forums > English > Mac Music > Music Software > Cubase & Nuendo
ghettoblaster
Hey there,

I got hold of Cubase SX 1 and am starting to learn it, but in reading a lot of stuff on the internet it seems like hardly anyone uses it now compared to Logic. Is one better than the other?

I'm interested in mainly creating score for my films using my midi keyboard. I also would like to compose some tracks. Will VST plug ins work with Logic? Which application is easier to use? Which one is more powerful?

I don't want to take the time to learn a program if it's becoming obsolete...

any info is appreciated!
andy moreno
LOGIC WORKS WITH AUDIOUNITS PLUGINS FORMAT NOT VSTi
iF YOU GET FXPANSION THAT WOULD BE THE SOLUTION TO KEEP VSTi RUNNING ON LOGIC AND I THINK LOGIC IS BETTER
I HOPE THIS HELP YOU
ANDY
kolo
Cubase obsolete...are you Kidding? People like Hans Zimmer use Cubase if you are thinking about film scores. I'm sure he's into other stuff too.. It seems to be more popular in Europe. This is just my feeling from reading the american and european magazines on the subject. I use cubase under OS9 and have since version 1.something, when computer audio was but a dream. So I'm just used to how it's all set up. I do get the feeling though that since apple owns Logic if may ultimately make great gains in the mac market (which is most of the music market I think). I'm thinking about switching over Logic or DP when I totally go up to OS X because from reading this and other forums and mags, Cubase seems more processor intensive. DP4 for example can work on a G3 (or so they say) while cubase demands a fast g4. Either way you are cooking with gas.
andy moreno
Hi Kolo
If you decide to change setup
Then would be better G4 and Logic to develop your talent.
Currently I´m using that combination
But G3 runs many good programs yet, I think the key is on the RAM capacity, for both.
Success, Andy
swilder
It's all about personal taste. Most all of the major software packages are very very powerful. I find Logic to be very complicated and unintuitive. But that's just me. I knwo many people who whiz around Logic and swear by it. I find Cubase/Nuendo to be every bit as powerful as the others and I was able to find my way around most of the most often used functions without having to open the manual.

Most programs have demos. Try them all out and go with the one that feels the most comfortable.

Just my two cents

Scott
gdoubleyou
I own SX2 performance is so bad on my Macs that I moved it to my PC, it has the highest minimum system requirements of any Mac DAW.

I could only get 8-10 tracks on my new powerbook, same machine easily does sessions of 48+ tracks with DP4 and Logic6.

Performance is one issue, The biggest problem with Steinberg is poor quality. they tend to add new features before fixing current bugs. I used Cubase from version 3-SX, and they have always had poor support.

After two years of pain, and a paid upgrade, SX2 users finally have the app they thought they had purchesed in SX1.
The kicker is that SX STILL has over 60 known bugs.

Hans Zimmer uses VST/32 in OS9, otherwise he would have to get new hardware to play his current sessions. That's another thing, whenever there is a major version upgrade it renders your previous mixes useless because all parameters and automation do not transfer. You are forced to remix old sessions to use the new product.

they are consistant in that business practice, been that way since version3.

The user experience is that you feel like you are paying to be a beta tester.

angry.gif
dmrkh
On that note, I've never seen much from the Nuendo users in this forum. Should that be interpreted one way or another? Here in the States the argument revolves around the same old same old, but when you're getting good results, who cares? I recently came across an issue of Sound-on-Sound where one of Culture Club's engineers was talking about his Mac setup and how he uses Nuendo, which got me to thinking how rare it is to hear someone on a Mac talk about anything but ProTools/Logic/DP.

All this to say- would anyone from the Steinberg house care to enlighten us?
Grayce
I'm using Cubase in Classic 9. Could we have a side forum to talk about our issues? All those Logic posts are not helping me.

Grayce
boilerblues
From what I've heard it sounds like Cubase still has a large following. I have a friend that runs Nuendo and I just started up with Cubase SE.
xexo
I am a long-time Cubase and Logic user, both current versions. If your new to MIDI or sequencing and you would rather create music than have your head buried in the manual for countless hours than I cannot stress enough to go with Cubase. (As a matter of fact I would upgrade to the new SX 2.x for many new features).
With Cubase, I write and compose, and I get stuff done. Cubase has simplicity without sacrificing features. With Logic, I seem to always find myself digging out one of the 10+ manuals that come with Logic to figure something out.
Cubase is by far not obsolete. You may not see as many posts related to Cubase because IMO most people are creating music with Cubase and not having to post messages to have to figure something out.
To go into a little more detail on my opinion on this matter....Logic is a very powerful program which revolves entirely around what they call the "environment", which is a user created and user customized environment of every MIDI instrument and plug-in that you own. Although it can be a very powerful tool, its retardedly convoluted, and can be very hard to learn depending on your MIDI skills and sequencer saavy-ness.
The basic fact is all the major sequencers (Logic, Cubase, Digital Performer, etc) can do all the same things, they just all do them in different ways, but in my 10+ years in sequencing I have found the following things to be true:
Logic can be a bitch to learn, especially for beginners.
Cubase has had a track record of being buggy, but Steinbergs gotten faster at updates and fixes.
Digital Performer....a great program, but MOTU has the worst tech support EVER...of any company
Ive ever encountered.
dmrkh
As to Cubase/Nuendo being VST based and designed for Pinnacle's own video apps, does anyone know of there being conflict/success with using a Steinberg music product with Final Cut Express/Pro?
unsure.gif
sethjacquay
Just wanted to add that the new version of Ableton's Live (version 4), out in July,
looks to be a capable alternative to Cubase, Logic, and Digital Performer.

Also, I would not recommend attempting to run DP 4 on Mac OS X using
only a G3 Processor. I would recommend at least a 1 Ghz G4 and a Gig of RAM.
It runs well on my iMac 800Mhz G4 with only 512 RAM, but feels like it could
be peppier with more RAM and a slightly faster processor.

I haven't played with Logic or Cubase at all. I would like to try Logic Express
someday though, is there a demo version anywhere?
sowhatfilms
Dear BlastGhetto,

Funnily enough Cubase (well, especially Cubase SX2 on these days) still represents one of the industry standards. One of, not the only one. You're right in saying Logic is getting a big, big chunch of the market, but Cubase is still heavily used.

I have a Mac (G3) and use Cubase SX (not version 2.0). I cannot upgrade to version 2 because it'll work only with processor G4 and up, but to be honest I am not sure at the stage where I am I will need version 2.0. Still so much to learn on version 1...!

I guess once you start with one software, then unless there is a very, very good reason you'd better stick with that one and all of its future upgrades. That is what I am doing in digital editing (Final Cut Pro), and I don't see why I shouldn't do that in music editing, recording with Cubase. Also, many of the people I know in the music industry have Cubase, which is the reason why I got it in the first place. Ok, Logic and Nuendo are very popular, but Cubase gets its share of the market, too. Or so it seems.

Regards,

matteo preZioso
So What! Films - London
http://www.ukscreen.com/crew/sowhat
Dasa Soul
LOGIC Demo; the only one i know is a 30 day demo of logic platinum that come whit the book by Apple Pro Ttraining Series by Martin Sitter and Robert Brock amazon.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.