Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eq Setting For Voice Recording
440 Forums > English > Audio > Technique and Tricks > Studio
InsideMacRadio
Hello Everybody ....

Does anybody have a nice baseline EQ setting for voice work ??

Recording in Protools and using the Digirack EQ

Thanks

Scott Sheppard
Executive Producer
Host - Broadcast Radio
The Inside Mac Show
Saturdays 2 p.m. - 3 p.m. PDT
http://www.insidemacradio.com
Jeff Pelletier
Hi Scott!
FLAT!!! Try getting a good sound that requires NO EQ! And if you use any EQ at all, CUT instead of boosting. Good mic choice/placement at the recording stage will save you tons of time and the aggravation of having to re-record a vocal.

A few other considerations....

Use the mic "off-axis" for overly sibilant vocals
USE A POP SHEILD!
Get it right at the recording stage...don't rely on being able to correct problems later!

HAVE FUN>>>KEEP ON TRUCKIN'
InsideMacRadio
Hello Jeff :-)

Thanks...

I wanted to bring out the VOICE like a FM station would add to the sound (deep & rich)

Any thoughts on this ??

Thanks
Jeff Pelletier
In that case you might want to use "THE RADIO MIC" the Electro Voice RE-20.
If mic choice is not an option, a cardioid polar pattern mic, in close proximity (this will make the low end boomy so watch out for pops) might just do the trick.

Also, you might want to record in an environment with very high absorbtion characteristics. This will give the impression that the talent is close and will result in a very radio-like sound.
td3k
... and don't forget the compression. Squeeze that vocal track with a good amount of compression for that "FM Broadcast" sound.

TD
Jeff Pelletier
TD's right...

Compress to the point that you're almost limiting.....however that will make sibilance jump right out at you because it does not carry as much energy as, for example plosives or vowel sounds...your compressor will squeeze the hell out of most of the sounds, but may not even twitch for sibilant sounds.

Try it an see!

Good luck!

-Jeffro
vrice
I agree with Jeff that flat is the business- though i find myself using a high-pass filter sometimes. when i´m recording to tape, i use it much more- but still, cutting out frequencies below 60 Hz still leaves enough ´bass´ to work with, and does wonders for proximity/popping situations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.