Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCSI Samplers and New Macs
440 Forums > English > Synthesizers > Samplers
osolemio
I have a new g4 and while I do have an ultrascsi card in the machine for my audio drives, I don't want to slow the bus down with a scsi 1 sampler ala K2500. I got a USB/SCSI adapter that works fine with most SCSI 1 devices. Shouldn't it work with my sampler in programs like Recycle and Digital Performer? Is there a wordaround?
Synthetic
Well if your USB/SCSI adaptor is not working with your sampler... then it just may be a compatibilty issue that you should contact the manufacturer of the adaptor about. They may have a solution for you but then again they may not. For instance... I was trying to use a Keyspan USB serial port adaptor on my G3 and it worked fine on modem but it would not work with my Epson Stylus 600. It was just incompatible. It was then I decided to avoid adaptors that convert one connection to the other if at all possible because of compatibility issues. I do have an Adaptec SCSI card running some SCSI stuff and never had problems but this was a PCI card... I just don't have much faith in anything that tries to convert one connection protocol to another.
WSpeckmann
I would try to use the scsi card.
Usually the better cards (adaptec 2930 for example) are 'intelligent' enough to use different speeds for different devices.

Kind regards
Walter
osolemio
The problem with using my faster, better SCSI card is that the speed of the bus (the drives) drops to the speed of the slowest device. So ultra 2 drives then become as slow as the SCSI 1 of the sampler. This was why I tried the converter option.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.