MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vst On Mac Vs Windows
Mr. Jason E. Lec...
post Wed 4 Oct 2006, 05:44
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,692

i was wondering why vst's that are created for windows cannot run on a mac. does this have anything to do with the processors? i've noticed that in linux systems people can use WINE to use windows vst's in a linux environment. for the most part i'm happy with the instruments available for mac. but being kinda poor, i'm very attracted to free plugins (which seem to be more available for windows) such as KarmaFX. i guess my other question would be is there a user-friendly, high-quality, free modular synth comparable to the KarmaFX created for mac?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 4 Oct 2006, 13:13
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

It's a CPU/OS based problem.

The software you use must be binary compatible with both (instruction sets that are CPU specifics, OS instructions and libraries). So in the end, the code you must use is related to both. When you use WINE on LINUX you have a compatibility environnement to translate on the fly the windows only code so it can run in WINE/Linux.

Maybe a WINE equivalent solution will come up for macintels but it'll never occur for PPC macs.

As the marketshare of mac is growing again, let's hope it'll make sense again for developers of freeware/shareware windows only to visit us wink.gif cool.gif Some have always do so, I'm optimistic now. Now, for them, remember it's an investment of time they can't always afford, just as there's developers only working on the MacOS platform.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Mr. Jason E. Lec...
post Thu 5 Oct 2006, 08:21
Post #3

Rookie

thanks for explaning that, lepetitmartien.

+Quote Post
mechcon
post Thu 5 Oct 2006, 22:50
Post #4

Member No.: 80,014

for the intel macs there is a solution (not sure if it'd work with vst's, buuttttt)

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/ crossover!!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mr. Jason E. Lec...
post Fri 6 Oct 2006, 03:17
Post #5

Rookie

haha, yeah. that would be nice if i could afford a new intel mac. but thanks a lot for the heads up rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Fri 6 Oct 2006, 04:20
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

There are plenty of good freeware plugs & synths for the Mac.....here's a good place to start, though you may have already seen this site:http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/software.php/id/7037/audio/Plug-ins/

www.smartelectronix.com

very, very cool site & many of the guys at smartelectronix also make plugs for Cycling 74 (pluggo & Max/MSP).

+Quote Post
mechcon
post Fri 6 Oct 2006, 05:07
Post #7

Member No.: 80,014

QUOTE (Mr. Jason E. Lectric @ Fri 6 Oct 2006, 11:47) *
haha, yeah. that would be nice if i could afford a new intel mac. but thanks a lot for the heads up rolleyes.gif

Im in the same boat mate, I have a similar problem http://en.440forums.com/forums/?showtopic=30146 so no intel mac for me, for another year at least (not as much cost, just, i dont NEEEEEED it badly yet)

good luck on the quest for more vsts too smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Wed 24 Apr 2024, 16:34
- © MacMusic 1997-2008