MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jaguar, Panther Or Tiger?, Which OS is the best for musicmaking?
zool.
post Tue 21 Sep 2004, 17:16
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,641

Hi, I am using a Powerbook G4 for music production with Jaguar 10.2.8.
Is there any reason I should upgrade to Panther or Tiger?
I have heard that Panther causes several problems for making music. Can someone tell me what is best?
wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xingu
post Tue 21 Sep 2004, 17:59
Post #2

Member No.: 6,217

Personally, I would say if you're happy with your current setup, leave it alone. Are you having any specific problems that are prompting you to upgrade? I can't imagine that Panther could make that much of a noticeable difference, but I could be wrong.

+Quote Post
bobdemaa
post Tue 21 Sep 2004, 18:22
Post #3

Rookie

Member No.: 31,267

Definately switch to Panther. It's quicker than Jaguar to say the least. I also use a powerbook G4 and Run Logic, Peak, And Live on it. There are no issues to my knowledge that affect me. I'm using 10.3.5 and external FW 400 drives. Also in Panther the MIDI Server was reworked and there is more stability and reiiability with MIDI, and also expanded instruments contained within the audio midi setup. I say go for it, if you are into that kind of thing.

In this months issue of Electronic Musician there is a great article about optimizing the System for use in audio. I highly highly recomend you check this article out and follow it's instructions. It can make a significant difference.

all the best

-b.

+Quote Post
aptmunich
post Sat 9 Oct 2004, 14:23
Post #4

Rookie

Member No.: 40,050

Don't upgrade to panther...

Not because of any difficulties I know of, but because Tiger will be released soonish and you might as well get the very latest set of features if you're going to upgrade.

I've only used 10.2.8 briefly, but I must say I missed some of the features 10.3. has to offer...

So wait a bit, get 10.4. and be at the cutting edge of technology wink.gif

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sun 10 Oct 2004, 05:02
Post #5

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

As it's still difficult to have an idea on Tiger as it's still in it's beta infancy (it's still some months away, 10.3.6 will be here before tongue.gif it's in beta too) some users are happy in 10.2.8. But the Panther family is better, faster. a check on 10.3.4 would be an option. 10.3.5 is still under scrutiny.

Now what are the problems you are talking about? Right now no OS X version is innocent! laugh.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Synthetik
post Sat 20 Nov 2004, 22:03
Post #6

Member No.: 5,668

Stronger

Faster

Better

I am running the Beta version of 10.4 and I would say upgrade when it comes out, The machine will run faster and you'll be happier

--------------------
BING BING BLEEP ERRRRRRR[I]

+Quote Post
fastlanephil
post Sun 21 Nov 2004, 07:59
Post #7

Member No.: 10,225

Garritan Personal Orchestra is the only music software I know of that runs better in Jaguar than Panther.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Wed 24 Apr 2024, 14:18
- © MacMusic 1997-2008