MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Presonus FireBox Review, Article
arvidtp
post Wed 21 Sep 2005, 05:50
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,850

i think u will be OK with an 800 MHz G4. Dont expect to be able to do loads of processing while you are using all the Firebox's channels, but it does not take that much more processing power than built in.

The CPU spikes can sometimes cause problems - I think. Its hard to tell. They seem to cause occasional clicks/pops, but it is tough to correlate them to the pops. However, these are reduced to practically none for me by renicing the process i want to run audio, Like Max/MSP, and reducing priority for the Dock. See this which i wrote in another thread:

For performances - yes i was getting lots of clicks in MaxMSP - but these were dramatically reduced when i fired up Process Wizard (great little menu extra) and niced (increased the priority of) MaxMSP all the way and decreased that of the Dock to rock-bottom. If i do this every time i perform with the firebox, it works wonders. Max is therefore more important to the machine than the CPU spikes the firebox causes. Logic does not seem to have to be told that it is most important - i think it acts the same either way, but i have not experimented that much with nicing logic, as realitme performance is not quite as critical there.

MaxMSP 4.5 (which i dont have yet) has some controls for priority. I dont know if these apply to audio, but they might o something similar.

So if you get pops and clicks, download process wizard and try increasing the priority of the app(s) u want to work with.

--------------------
-Arvid •• Squish the Squid Productions, Modest Machine

•• digitally augmented trumpet, TOOB, flugelhorn, cracklebox, percussicube, no-input-mixers and Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz 15", MacOS 10.5, MOTU Ultralite, Logic Studio 9, MaxMSP 5, JackOSX ••
•• Electronic-experimental, jazz, digital instrument design, electronics, unique software and performance.••
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Wed 21 Sep 2005, 16:41
Post #22

Maniac Member

Member No.: 4,705

I just posted a similar reply in another thread a few moments ago, but I think the only absolute requirement for the FireBox is OS X 10.3.7, as the drivers for the unit are part of this update's CoreAudio. The FireBox acts as a simple audio I/O device with my G3 600MHz iBook. I record on my dual 1GHz PowerMac and it also works beautifully there.

If you want to do a lot of complex audio tasks, an 800MHz G4 is at the bare bones end of things these days, anyway. Sadly. sad.gif

BTW, I'm running Yamaha MSP5 active monitors from my FireBox. Sounds great.

+Quote Post
bravescape
post Fri 25 Nov 2005, 23:06
Post #23

Group: Validating
Member No.: 73,002

Can Firebox be used as stand-alone preamp with AC adaptor - that is, signals still go in and out?

+Quote Post
piggy_destructio...
post Thu 1 Dec 2005, 02:24
Post #24

Member No.: 73,242

Hi, I just made an account for this topic. I have been researching recording systems for my computer. I was going back and forth between the Digidesign Mbox and the Lexicon Omega Desktop Recording Studio. I finally started leaning toward the Mbox because i read such great reviews on the software and I don't plan on recording with 10 other people so two inputs was okay for me. Then I ran across the PreSonus Firebox! I was floored by all the great reviews and the sturdiness it appears to have in the pictures. I was afraid the others would crush while I'm setting them up or during shipping because they look so fragile. I have a G4 Powerbook with 1.5 GHz and 512MB (which I hope to upgrade to 1GB in the near future) so I don't think running the Firebox will be an issue for me. The one thing I am hesitant about is the software. Everything I have read about Cubase sounds bad compared to Pro Tools. My brother-in-law has an MBox with Pro Tools, but I read somewhere that Pro Tools can only be used with Digidesign products and Digidesign products can only be used with Pro Tools. Is this true or could I get Pro Tools from him and use it with a Firebox? Does everybody agree that I should go with the Firebox or should I go with something else? And please tell me something about the software. I would really like some feedback from some other people because I am tired of researching and going back and forth on what I should get. Thanks!

+Quote Post
arvidtp
post Thu 1 Dec 2005, 05:04
Post #25

Member No.: 12,850

"Can Firebox be used as stand-alone preamp with AC adaptor - that is, signals still go in and out?"

-Yes! You dont get any mixing capabilities, but the two preamps do go out outputs 1 and 2 (separately) when the box is not plugged into the computer. Unfortunately it does not remember firebox mixer settings from the last time it was connected to the computer. But it still works biggrin.gif

piggy_destruction: Yes, pro tools will only run on digidesign or select Maudio hardware. I have not tried PT 7 LE yet, but pt 6 LE was not that great (buggy and processor inefficient for me on my Mbox system). I like logic over pro tools. Its more composer-centric as opposed to post-production centric, and more flexible for things like working in tandem with MaxMSP via Jack etc. The cubase u get with the firebox? I have not even installed it, as I have Logic Pro. The thing about the Mbox is u get a complete package (but one i dont trust from experience). With the firebox, u get a cut down cubase, which is prolly OK, but not the greatest.

My firebox blows my Mbox 1 away as a piece of hardware, but if u really want to use pro tools, you will have to go with the Mbox or an Maudio interface (which, like digidesign's interfaces, are not known for their great drivers from what i have heard.)

--------------------
-Arvid •• Squish the Squid Productions, Modest Machine

•• digitally augmented trumpet, TOOB, flugelhorn, cracklebox, percussicube, no-input-mixers and Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz 15", MacOS 10.5, MOTU Ultralite, Logic Studio 9, MaxMSP 5, JackOSX ••
•• Electronic-experimental, jazz, digital instrument design, electronics, unique software and performance.••

+Quote Post
piggy_destructio...
post Thu 1 Dec 2005, 05:31
Post #26

Member No.: 73,242

Thanks for the reply, arvidtp. I am defintely leaning more toward the Firebox over the Mbox. I believe in quality over quantity and it seems like one of the higher points of the Mbox is just the software package.

+Quote Post
CrowDog
post Mon 12 Dec 2005, 20:17
Post #27

Member No.: 73,811

Hi Everyone!
I'm completely new to recording, and am just trying to setup an *extremely* modest ability to do some recording at home, mostly for fun and learning right now.
All the reviews have led me to believe that the FireBox is the way to go for the audio interface. The once question I have is in regard to compression. I'll mostly be playing with recording instruments such like a Native American flute, and various hand drums (djembe, congas, etc.), and my experience so far has me suspecting that some type of compression would be very helpful, especially for being able to increase the gain to get the "ring" from the drums like the djembe without risking clipping on the initial hit.
Has anyone used the firebox in conjunction with some type of compressor? I was looking at Presonus' COMP16 compressor, and it said the mic has to be pre-amped before going into the compressor. Since the Firebox is the pre-amp, and also the audio interface, that left me unsure as to how I would have to connect things to use a compressor with the Firebox.
Has anyone done anything like this? Or would I need to look for separate components for pre-amp and interface, so the compressor could be connected between them?
huh.gif

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Tue 13 Dec 2005, 12:06
Post #28

Maniac Member

Member No.: 4,705

The Firebox does not have Send and Return insert jacks - so no, you can't stick a compressor into your signal path before it goes digital and is routed into your computer. If you have a dedicated mic preamp or a small mixer, they usually have insert points, but then you are spending more money.

Alternatively, you can leave the compression until mixdown - in other words, record your live audio as is, then use software plug-in compressors within your sequencing package (whatever that is). That way, any compression you add can always be removed if you decide you don't like it later - if you compress on the way in during recording, you're stuck with it if you mess it up. People work both ways - no big deal.

Other than the insert points, the Firebox is a well-specified unit for the money.

+Quote Post
lessthenzero
post Fri 30 Dec 2005, 20:43
Post #29

Member No.: 74,610

Hello everyone. I just got an account set up here so i could ask some questions regarding the firebox. I recently got one and hooked it up to my Imac G5 running Mac OS X v10.4. everything plugged in without a hitch. Then i plugged in my monitors, they being Rokit 5's, and turned on the computer. The blue light on the firebox comes on and tells me that it is being read by the computer. Then i plug in my guitar and open Garageband and st it up as real instrument and all that stuff. It works. Then I turn off my computer and power it on the next day and the Firebox is being picked up in system preferences but no sound is being picked up, either from the guitar or the condensor mic. So i unplug the fire wire and it says that the are no MIDI devices selected. Then i plugged it back in and it says it picked it up 1 midi device Presonus firebox, all that jazz, and i selected it and sound was picked up again. But this time it would not play the music back through the monitors. Fine whatever i'll fix it later. So i come back to day and turn on the computer and now the sound was playing only through the monitors. All sound, iTunes for example was playing through it. But now no sound was being picked up from the instruments. Then i moving my computer over an inch and the monitors stopped playing. The screen showed the volume bar drop from 1 less then full all the way down to 3. I have no idea whats going on. Maybe my firewire input on the back is mess up. So i'm here, driven to the verge of insanity asking fro some simple help.

If it helps here is the computer specs
Machine Name: iMac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac12,1
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 2.1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 700 MHz

If any one can help it would be awesome. Thanks.

+Quote Post
yenny
post Sat 7 Jan 2006, 04:25
Post #30

Member No.: 74,906

Hi there,
I'm interested in getting a Firebox for my recording setup. Do you think it would work well with a G4 Powerbook, 867 MHz, 768 MB RAM, OS 10.4 Tiger, using Logic Express? Also, my midi keyboard is a Roland PC-300 that only has a USB out. Can this be connected to the midi input on the firebox or would I just have to connect directly to my laptop with the USB and bypass the Firebox?
I'm new to all this, so my apologies if these are silly questions!

Thanks!! smile.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Welcome Guest
Contribute
Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 14:31
- © PcMusic 1997-2007