MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Drum Micing
Logan Hornbuckle
post Tue 24 Oct 2006, 16:48
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 84,565

I am new here, and I was just wondering what would be the best usb microphone for micing a kick drum. I am currently using a Samson usb condenser mic overhead to mic the rest of the drumset. I use garageband and am new to recording. Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
TKO
post Thu 23 Nov 2006, 09:43
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 83,357

Hi again,
I recommended getting an audio interface, and as there is a bewildering amount of choice, here are a couple of models that might work for you: Tapco Link USB (or firewire) Tapco is a Mackie owned company and while I haven´t tried these I expect the mic preamps to be decent. And they´re cheap (around 150€). Another worth considering is Focusrite Saffire, they have an LE version out now and it´s a classy little box with built in DSP so it takes load off your CPU.
All these only have two mic inputs and while you can get decent results micing just the bass drum and rest of the kit with a single overhead you don´t have too many mixing options. You can of course use an analog mixer for more mic inputs and submix these to the interface´s line inputs, you are stuck with the submix-balance but still have the option of using EQ, compression, reverb & stuff inside your computer.
Hope this was useful, have a good time experimenting!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 14 May 2024, 16:17
- © MacMusic 1997-2008