MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Erik821

Profile
Personal Photo
Avatar
Members

Newbie
Rating
 
Options
Options
Pro Infos

Musicians / Composers

Mac G5, DigitalPerformer, MOTU Traveler
Personal Info
Gender Not Set
Born Aug 21, 1970 (47 years old)
97219 Portland
United States
Erik821 doesn't have a personal statement currently.
Statistics
Joined: 14-Mar 06
Profile Views: 1,262*
Last Seen: Tue 1 Aug 2006, 22:11
Local Time: Mon 23 Oct 2017, 09:57
5 posts (0 per day)
Contact Information
AIM No Information
Yahoo No Information
ICQ No Information
MSN No Information
* Profile views updated each hour
Topics
Posts
Blog
Comments
Friends
My Content
20 May 2006
I'm sure this has comeup in this forum before but I'd thought I'd ask again since I'm relatively new to Logic (and to Apple for that matter).

I was all set to get a new Mac desktop when the Intel's came out. It was going to be my Christmas present to myself. I had been thinking desktop all this time because in my mind a desktop Mac with oodles of power parked in my home studio just seemed more "pro" or "serious" than getting a Macbook. I was going to really go all out-soundproofing, racks and racks of gear, Neumann's, the whole nine.

Now I'm not so sure.

My situation: 95% VI use. The other 5% would be reserved for my limited guitar and vocal skills on audio tracks. I can see maxing out at around 25-30 Audio instruments in Logic.

I was thinking that if a 17" Macbook Pro was sufficient enough for that, why would I necessarily need a desktop? The benifits of having a laptop seem pretty nice. I can just pick up my firebox and headphones and I'm gone with basically my whole studio in tow.

Oh, and by the way, I live in a three bedroom house. Two of the bedrooms are occupied. I'm in the third (my studio). Wife wants a baby. It would be kind of stupid to build a studio instead of a baby room now anyway. That in itself may just seal the deal.

What do you guys think? 17" MB Pro or desktop? blink.gif
20 Mar 2006
wink.gif

I got into Cakewalk Sonar 5 about a year ago and since then haven't used any other program. I recently decided to get a Mac. I would take Sonar with me if I could (maybe v5.2) for familiarity reasons more than anything.

I've looked at other programs (Ableton Live, Logic, ProTools, Cubase SX,) and Cubase was nice but I actually settled on Digital Performer, the GUI was beautiful and it seems as though it may be easier to figure out than Logic (my real first choice). After doing a little more research I realized DP version 5 is coming out soon, but I don't know exactly when, probably in the fall.

So while I'm waiting on that, does it also make sense to wait for the new desktop Intel Macs? It seems to me it would, but since I'm a newbie here, I thought I'd ask you fine people for a little feedback.

I should also add that I do not currently have an Mac, which would make sense since I've been using Sonar.

Thank you very much,

Erik
Last Visitors
Erik821 has no visitors to display.

Comments
Other users have left no comments for Erik821.

Friends
There are no friends to display.
Lo-Fi Version - Mon 23 Oct 2017, 10:57
- © 440 Forums 2011