MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Removing Lyrics From Mp3's??
psanchez13
post Sun 26 Oct 2003, 06:29
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,451

I apologize if this is a stupid question (and it probably is) but I am a complete NEWBIE to audio editing, etc. I was wondering if there were any software packages to pull the lyrics out of certain mp3's I have downloaded. Basicly I want the 'beats' so I can do some playing around without the artist/lyrics getting in the way.

If this is possible, what software would you suggest? I am using an 800hmz G3 iBook (640mb ram). I am running OS X 10.2.8 (Panther in the next few days).

Thanks!

Peter
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
boze
post Mon 27 Oct 2003, 15:24
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,676

first off- no! don't buy a G3 iBook!! you can get a G4 iBook starting at $1099 now!! ram shmam! worry about ram later- get the new iBook!

ahem...

anyway, the answer to your question is 'no', you can't strip vocals from a track with any sw that i'm aware of. individual audio files don't work that way- there is no distinct number of elements squished into them that can be edited out like a SearchReplace in a word doc or something. it's a mixdown you hear and all the sounds are together now like soup- okay maybe soup isn't the right metaphor, but still.... not only are all the tracks mixed down, but vocals also take up a good bit of low mid and high frequencies, so eq'ing the voice out is not an option either.

the one exception to this is that there are some strange early stereo recordings of like The Beatles and stuff where the ppl who remastered the original music to stereo panned some intruments all the way to one side. with a track like that you can get that instrument out of the mix just by panning left or right, but that's not the way things are mixed these days.

--------------------
Kit: Dual Ghz G4, Vaio 2.6ghz GRV670 notebook. Software: Reaktor, Reason, Ableton Live. Leanings: Laptop performance, jazz guitar, singing.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 28 Oct 2003, 00:33
Post #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Well if voice is center you can remove it by getting rid of what is common to both sides.

Cancelation of phases if you want the dirty name wink.gif

But it'll work only if it's dead center. Now for the technique: you put out of phase one channel and send the result (mix of the 2 channels) to mono.

You may loose much more than the voice only… but there's NO miracle here. Even on high end $$$ mega DAW.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Mon 21 Oct 2024, 10:40
- © MacMusic 1997-2008