MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recording Piano To Powerbook, Need Help in Equipment to record piano
brianwmniles
post Wed 30 Jul 2003, 17:42
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,969

Need help for a newbee. I'm trying to record a baby grand piano to some recording software on a Powerbook and then export as an MP3.

Any suggestions for where to get relatively inexpensive microphones (how many, placement in the piano tips, where to buy cheap in the US), what other equipment I need to connect to a TiBook, then software on the Mac to record the piano.

Thanks for all your help!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
garyyamane
post Sat 22 Nov 2003, 15:06
Post #2

Member No.: 28,947

I am using a TiBook G4 and have experience with your question. You will first need a preamp to get a mic signal up to what the mac can deal with. The cheapest solution is the iMic ($40) and will give you stereo input thru usb. You next need a mic or two that have mini plugs-not so easy to find. If you want a good sounding recording I recommend the stereo Audio Technica AT422-at $250 pretty pricy but you are getting 2 mics in one and it sounds great and comes with a stereo mini plug. If you use 2 mics you will need a mini stereo to mono splitter for the one iMic port. Download the shareware Sound Studio and you are ready to go. For high end (and high price) get Digital Performer 4.11 and a MOTU 828mkII firewire interface and you will have studio quality recordings at 24 bit.

+Quote Post
MusicMan91
post Sat 3 Jan 2004, 19:14
Post #3

Member No.: 30,691

Get SoundStudio, SoundSoap, and I'd suggest Cubase SL for you. Try OmniStudio USB, I tried M-Audio's FireWire 410 and there wasn't any difference in lag or any difference in efficiency as far as my testing went and I am using an iBook to record onto but then I transfer the music files to the iMac. As far as microphones go, if you want to get quality get a BLUE Baby Bottle and set it inside the piano. You should also get another microphone and place it about three feet behind the piano to pick up any extra noise and I have always found this mic to be important for the recording to sound more real as opposed to a studio-job. Finally there are special types of microphones specially deigned for this sort of recording that attach to the lid of the piano when it is open. I suggest an open recording as I have found it to sound a lot better, but you should play around with the mic placement to see what sounds best to you. Different styles demand for different microphone placement, editing technique, microphone type and the environment in which you record.

Have fun,
Chris

+Quote Post
pronkie5
post Sun 4 Jan 2004, 15:45
Post #4

Member No.: 32,237

This depends a little on what piano (brand) you use. Some mics sound excellent with a certain piano but are awfull with others.

So to make it a little easier on me let's say you have an Yamaha Baby Grand.

First look for a nice audio card with 2 inputs minimum. This might be mic inputs but also line-level. If line level use a small mixer or preamp to get Mic level up to line. Suggestion (from cheap to medium priced); Behringer minimixer/preamp, ART stereo MP, Focusrite Platinum twintrak.

You can get some pretty good second hand soundcards right now that would suit you. AudioMedia III (3, not 2=nubus) which will give you 24/32 tracks protools,Korg 1212 or audiowerk to run Cubase or Logic.

Most soundcards with mic inputs are more than 2 inputs and for that more expensive.

Mic-ise the AKG C1000 is an excellent low cost mic that will give you good results with any baby grand. Also Rode NT sereis is pretty good and affordable. Most Mics with mini-jack are less good than those found with XLR cabling. And it makes a LOT of difference. For more info feel free to send private message,

Jan

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 28 Apr 2024, 01:40
- © 440 Forums 2011