MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vst Problem, Type 2 error when i try to Load a file
adolf500x
post Mon 9 Jun 2003, 23:11
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,345

Please help
I keep getting a type 2 error when trying to load a particular song.Its an impotant track and i didnt have a chance to make a copy of it.Is there anything i can do or is the track lost for good?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
midiwife
post Tue 10 Jun 2003, 12:40
Post #2

Rookie

Member No.: 8,287

Hi adolf500x,

I've faced this problem many times as I run a studio of Macs running 5.1. I can't say I've 'nailed' the situation but sometimes, trashing the Cubase prefs file in the system folder helps. Otherwise, sometimes I've burned the song to CD and loaded it into another machine and this has on occasion solved the problem. A type 2 error is an 'addressing error' and can as I understand it relate to a memory problem though weve got stacks of ram in our macs so this shouldn't be a problem.

I think there may be an issue about how VST 5.1 saves your work. You get the default Cubase VST option but if you're ever in any doubt, make sure you choose save as 'song' in the drop down menu when you save.

I'd be interested in hearing if you manage to sort this problem out so do feel free to email me back about it off list.

Kind regards, midiwife.

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Tue 10 Jun 2003, 17:24
Post #3

Maniac Member

Member No.: 1,082

a "type 2 error" means you are running out of memory... either close unused apps except for one you are using, alot more memory to the app in "get info" window for app, or add more RAM and make sure virtual memory is "OFF" wink.gif

This post has been edited by Synthetic: Tue 10 Jun 2003, 17:31

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post
adolf500x
post Wed 11 Jun 2003, 02:06
Post #4

Member No.: 6,345

I have done all u say lads but it still hasnt solved the problem.I have over a gig left on the hard drive and the song is about 200meg.My cubase is set to 150meg.Is there anything els u can think of.Iv also tried to repair the file with norton but no joy.

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Wed 11 Jun 2003, 03:46
Post #5

Maniac Member

well... adding more RAM may help but now that you mention your HD... you should consider this as well... 1 gig is not really that much space these days... especially when you are working with files that are 200mb in size. You see... some apps use some of the free hard drive space as a cache for their file updates and for saving undo's... so that 200mb file might really big 400mb or bigger when opened so to speak... and that 200mb file is using 200mb of ram at least plus the 150mb set for cubase and don't forget the 100mb+ for the system... I hope you have more than 512mb of RAM wink.gif

don't foget to try rebuilding desktop... norton... and defraggin drive as well... but as stated... type 2 means not enough RAM to open that file... so these may not matter blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
midiwife
post Wed 11 Jun 2003, 11:09
Post #6

Rookie

Member No.: 8,287

Hi again,

We have 768 M Ram in our machines and what's more, my students aren't even doing any audio and we still get this problem!
Yesterday it happened when we tried to view an imported MIDI track from a MIDI file in score edit. I don't think that's really asking too much of our G4s. The only other thing that could be affecting it is that we run software called OnGuard to protect our system integrity. That limits users' access to certain folders etc. However, this latest crash happened even I was logged on as Admin (i.e., full access). My students have just got used to being very very careful to save their work regularly and restart when needed.

Any more thoughts will be very welcome indeed!

midiwife.

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Fri 13 Jun 2003, 14:31
Post #7

Maniac Member

well... 768mb should be enough RAM but... even though no audio tracks are present... the VST plugs use lots of memory especially sampling VST plugs and maybe there are too many VST plugs attached to midi tracks. Sampler VST plugs eat memory quick. I have 512mb and sometimes 5 or 6 tracks of my ESX24 sampler plug will get to be too much for my G3.

Audio tracks will usually only bog down CPU cycles and not RAM so much.

The last thing could be the security software you are using is conflicting with Cubase. I have never used any security software with my music apps but I know that some of the Norton system saver stuff will just cause problems for some apps so this may be the same type of thing.

I used to take care of a computer lab at college and I know security software is needed but... it may be your culprit here. You might want to consider uninstalling the security software and just using apple's multiple user setup with users and groups to limit access for individuals.

Also, you may have other extensions that are eating memory too. I have a set of extensions exclusively for my music work that only containes the OS9 base set of extensions plus the extensions needed for my music apps. This frees up RAM and cpu cycles for things needed most. If all else fails... you might consider trashing Cubase prefs and rebooting... or worse case... trashing all Cubase files and reinstalling while keeping your song file. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 19 Sep 2024, 08:16
- © MacMusic 1997-2008