MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Logic 5.5 , Os X, And Motu 828 Help
Levon River
post Sun 1 Dec 2002, 10:20
Post #11

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,734

QUOTE (formatj @ Dec 1 2002, 05:07)
QUOTE (Levon River @ Dec 1 2002, 02:48)

Since 15 November 2002 there has been the 1.0 version of the OS X driver for the MOTU 828 sitting in the briar patch over on VersionTracker. I must have posted this about, what-- Five times now?

If you go to the MOTU website (which seems the logical place to download software updates for their own products) you will see that this product is a Public Beta.

I know how to find a web site. And if *you* download the software and install it (which you haven't), then get "Info" on the "MOTUFireWireAudio.kext" file, you will find a bright and shiny "1.0.0," NOT a "1.0b1"--which is what the blurb on MOTU's download page says the file is, and which is what they once had on the site for downloading according to the information I have. MOTU is notorious for being slow about updating text on their web pages. I haven't deconstructed their software to determine what, if any, changes they made between 1.0b1 and 1.0.0, and neither have the wankers whining on VersionTracker that it's the "same" file as before (when it was earlier released clearly labled as BETA). And neither have you, by the way.

Both the public beta AND the "1.0" versions were announced separately--that's separately--on VersionTracker by MOTU.

So if MOTU is confused about their own software, and VersionTracker is passing along that confusion, and some clown on VersionTracker decides to pronounce that it's all the same, and you want to buy into that "expert opinion," be my guest. As far as I know, the mages at MOTU decided that their beta was good enough for 1.0.0. It's their software; that's their call to make--not yours, not mine.

I've reported, accurately, that a 1.0 version was announced by MOTU on VersionTracker. And I've confirmed that the current file, when installed, has no "b" in it anywhere, but has "1.0.0."

If you feel MOTU is somehow abusing software version numbering conventions, take it up with them--*not* with me:

info@motu.com

In the meantime, the facts as I reported them--what, about six times now?--are accurate: MOTU has publicly released, through VersionTracker, what THEY are publicly calling 1.0 versions, both of their firewire drivers for OS X, and of their USB MIDI drivers for OS X. Period, paragraph, and end of my participation in dancing 'round the May pole waving airy pink ribbons.

If you've still got an issue with the facts as MOTU has presented them, please refer to the handy e-mail address included for your convenience above. Won't even cost you a stamp. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
formatj
post Sun 1 Dec 2002, 12:32
Post #12

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 5,658

Levon River, I really don't care what version MOTU calls their product and I don't know why you are so upset about this. I am only stating the facts from the website. I was only offering some assistance to a fellow musician and informing him about a driver for his interface.

Also you have no idea whether I have installed this software or not. I actually do a lot of work in music tech support and I have actually installed the latest driver from the MOTU website a number of times for various clients.

If you read the installer info when installing the driver it actually states that the driver is beta in the middle of the installation process. However maybe MOTU have it wrong, what would they know!? biggrin.gif

Thanks for telling everyone six times that the driver is not beta, we are all better for it. biggrin.gif

Like I said, I don't care about names of drivers, just as long as they work.
I am only here to help.

Please don't turn this into some sort of war over something so petty, I'm sorry I responded to the post in the first place.

+Quote Post
E rouge
post Sun 1 Dec 2002, 15:03
Post #13

Rookie

Member No.: 9,360

please, you have gone away from the main topic..... I still need help.... anyways, the problem here is that the beta never had a control panel.... so unless your 1.0 from vision tracker has a control panel, its going to be hard to say that its not the same one from the motu site..... I would only download anything frm the motu site anyways..

+Quote Post
formatj
post Sun 1 Dec 2002, 21:41
Post #14

Group Icon

E rouge,

Can you see your audio input objects in the track mixer in Logic or the Audio layer of the environment?
The mixer objects that represents input 3-4 should have activity on the meters when you play your keyboard. Is it assigned to output 1-2?

+Quote Post
E rouge
post Sun 1 Dec 2002, 23:17
Post #15

Rookie

my problem is not with the audio inputs, its with my midi output... i see 3+4 lighting up on the front of my motu 828, but its not outputing out 1+2 , which is what use to output. my audio instruments work fine, just not the out put or my midi synth......

+Quote Post
formatj
post Sun 1 Dec 2002, 23:32
Post #16

Group Icon

Did you monitor your outputs from your synth using CueMix before?

My suggestion is to send the outputs from your synth (input 3-4 on the 828) into logic and then out logic 1-2.

This way you have the advantage of being able to add logic's effects on your synth sounds. The only issue is that you will get a small amount of latency on your sound from the synth.

Please just try my suggestion. If your 3-4 inputs light up on your MOTU you should be able to get this signal into logic. It doesn't sound like a MIDI problem, seems to be a signal routing problem.

Can you let me know if you see signal on your audio input 3-4 in Logic.

+Quote Post
E rouge
post Mon 2 Dec 2002, 04:14
Post #17

Rookie

formatj,

I cant see if I am getting signal in on my midi tracks in logic.... I know I am getting signal into the motu because the 3+4 input lights light up...

here is a run down of my set up

867 MDD
motu 828
inputs on motu are as follows -> 3+4 = supernova 2 synth, 5+6 = output of my rane 2016 mixer.

I only use 3+4 when on logic.

So I know I am getting input to 3+4 , just no output.....

On logic 5.5 on OS 9, I use to control panel to set the monitor for what evcer inputs I use, but since the motu 828 drivers are beta, there is no moto 828 control panel.... how the hell else am I going to set my outputs ???

+Quote Post
formatj
post Mon 2 Dec 2002, 07:08
Post #18

Group Icon

1. Can you record some MIDI sequences with your supernova synth?

2. Do you see activity on the transport window when you play your synth, where it shows No In and No out?

3. If you record a MIDI sequence for your synth then play it back, do the lights on the MOTU 828 inputs 3-4 light up?

4. Do you have any audio Input objects in your audio layer of the environment, or in the Track Mixer of Logic?

5. If you do and you can record a MIDI sequence, which when played back lights up inputs 3-4 of your 828, can you see activity on the Audio Input Meters 3-4 of Logic.

please try all steps above and let me know which ones work and which ones if any don't make sense.

+Quote Post
E rouge
post Tue 3 Dec 2002, 06:02
Post #19

Rookie

Ifixed it... I had to go to APPLICATIONS > AUDIOMIDI and choose the 828 inputs from there......thanks for all the help...

+Quote Post
jamesraymorris
post Mon 9 Dec 2002, 02:43
Post #20

Member No.: 9,924

It's been wonderful following this thread, because I've encountered the same problems with the Motu OSX drivers and Logic 5.5

I *can* see activity on my Audio Input meters when I play my synth through the 828. The synth is plugged into inputs 3-4, and the lights on the 828 light up as well. The problem is I can't *hear* anything. I can record "blind", so to speak. I can even play back what I recorded. However, the problem is that I can't monitor what I'm recording.

Does there need to be some other object added to environment so that what is passing through the faders can be monitored on the 828's headphones or monitor outputs? (or even Output 1-2?)

Thanks for any help. I'm new to the forum.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Mon 13 May 2024, 23:16
- © MacMusic 1997-2008