MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Midi On Logic 5/jaguar Setup
cydonia
post Mon 11 Nov 2002, 03:09
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,302

Ok i've been all over the web, and the emagic infoweb is apparently offline, i tried to register but no-go.

Just got logic platinum, have jaguar installed. Unfortunately all the documenatation that i got is relevant to OS9. In the instruction booklet, the first thing you do is set up an arpeggiator thing in the environment. Then it's supposed to play through my keyboard, but there is no sound. I'm somewhat used to midi in oS9, but i don't know how to do this. I downloaded a driver for my midiman midisport,(the light is on)I entered a name in core midi but aside from that, i don't know if i really "did" anything or if my midiman is recognized in logic or apple's audio midi setup.

First tutorial out of the gate and i'm lost. Help? Thanks! smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tokyoroland
post Mon 11 Nov 2002, 09:02
Post #2

Member No.: 6,970

hey cydonia... are midisport are you using? I have the 2X2..make sure you donwloaded the 10.2 driver first off, because there is a 10.1.5 one also. and I guess, what keyboard are you using? you see, I couldn't detect an sound in mine until I went in and edited my keyboard preferences first and off course turned the local off and assigned channels..

is just one light on your midisport on or two?

i hope this helps just a little!

--------------------
"history repeats itself, so the best thing to do is rewrite the future"
- Jeffrey Roland

+Quote Post
Levon River
post Mon 11 Nov 2002, 12:13
Post #3

Member No.: 6,734

Your MIDI interface should show up in in the MIDI pane of Apple's Audio MIDI Setup as an interface, not something you have to configure. Then you add a "MIDI device" for each of your particular synths/modules/girlfriends/whatevers that you have connected to your interface, and drag lines out from the In/Out arrows at the top of the added device to the In/Out arrows showing up for your interface.

If your interface didn't automagically show up in the MIDI pane of Audio MIDI Setup, you might have to log out and back in, or check yer connections. And I don't mean your political connections.

Did all of that happen?

+Quote Post
cydonia
post Mon 11 Nov 2002, 15:45
Post #4

Thanks for the responses guys, i'm going to have to test this out later after work, but it's a midiman midisport 2X2. The driver i downloaded is for OsX.2, there is one light on (the light didn't come on until i installed the driver), the usb light.

Now, in my apple midi setup, midi devices there is an icon for a 2X2. I double click on it, it says, "device name, 2X2 Manufacturer Midiman, model Midisport, Device Online"

I don't know if this is good or if this is just the info i had entered myself earlier. In it's properties box, i haven't entered or checked anything, not sure what it's for.

Didn't know about dragging lines in the midi setup, maybe that's the culprit.

Damn! Tried logging out, but now all i just described about my midisport is gone. All it has now is a picture of a synth and says "new device". I rescanned the midi, have to check this later.

+Quote Post
Levon River
post Mon 11 Nov 2002, 22:22
Post #5

Member No.: 6,734

QUOTE (cydonia @ Nov 11 2002, 14:45)
Now, in my apple midi setup, midi devices there is an icon for a 2X2. I double click on it, it says, "device name, 2X2 Manufacturer Midiman, model Midisport, Device Online"

I don't know if this is good or if this is just the info i had entered myself earlier.

Here's a way you can tell: when the interface shows up because the system is actually on speaking terms with it, when you double-click on it, the manufacturer and model information is greyed out; you can't change it. (As for the name, you can call it Beulah, if you want to. biggrin.gif ) The icon/image for it also won't look like a synth.
Didn't know about dragging lines in the midi setup, maybe that's the culprit..

Mebbe. Once you add a "device" to represent your MIDI controller, you can connect its pointies to the interface's pointies. (BTW, Apple has introduced the following weirdness--like MIDI wasn't weird enough to suit them already: "You cannot specify a connection between two MIDI devices. To indicate a 'MIDI through' connection, connect the two MIDI devices to the same port of the MIDI interface." Obviously, in all this gobbledegook, the Chief Apple MIDI TechnoGeek and Bottle Washer has determined that a MIDI interface is not a "device." blink.gif Yeah the rumors must be true: this probably *is* the same person who inflicted OMS on the world. wink.gif )
Damn! Tried logging out, but now all i just described about my midisport is gone. All it has now is a picture of a synth and says "new device". I rescanned the midi, have to check this later.

If the interface shows up again, check the greyed-out text indicator. If it's there, that means the system is recognizing the interface without your interference. biggrin.gif And if it goes south again, then you may have some kind of flaky cord or connection (or hub?) in the USB connection.

Good luck!

+Quote Post
cydonia2
post Mon 11 Nov 2002, 23:36
Post #6

Member No.: 6,651

Thanks, Levon!

In fact when the midisport was showing up, i wasn't able to change anything it was indeed grayed out, so that is good. When i get home i'll try again.

+Quote Post
cydonia
post Tue 12 Nov 2002, 03:01
Post #7

Ah, sweetness and light! I hear me an arpeggiator! Thanks again for the help guys!

+Quote Post
cydonia2
post Fri 15 Nov 2002, 22:53
Post #8

Member No.: 6,651

Hey it's me again! laugh.gif

I've tried to figure this out, but i have a new problem..........

I'm using a Yamaha PSR 270 synthesizer. It has two banks of sounds, the first the native sounds and the second the General Midi sounds. How do i get logic to activate the sounds that aren't general midi? I've initialized the first bank in the environment, and i see the names of the sounds, but when i'm in arrange and hit program i only get up to 127 sounds. Can i in fact use all the other sounds, like my mulitiple drum kits, slow strings etc?

Do you think you could help me with this? I'm having a hard time getting my head around it. I'm reading the instruction manual, but it's just not clicking. Here's the link for my particular synth, btw. http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/D...gPPK00005PSR270

One other question: if i buy a program like storm or reason, would that be a better way to get sounds? Are they midi-like?
Thanks!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 1 Oct 2024, 12:16
- © MacMusic 1997-2008