MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Can't I Hear My Dx7 On My Sequencers?, DX7: MIDI and Audio SETUP for Sequencers
post Thu 7 Nov 2002, 18:01
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

Hello,

I've got the following equipments:
- an imac with Pro Tools Free and Logic AUdio running under OS 9.2.2,
-a Yamaha DX7,
- a Midisport UNO 1*1 Midi Interface
- OMS 2.3.8

The Midi IN/OUT are OK but the issue is that I can't hear the DX7 on the Mac eventhought I connected its audio output to the audio input of the Mac?

The audio output of the DX7 works perfectly when I connect it to my stereo so the problem must be related to the configuration of the sequencers (which is not so well explained in the manuals...).

Thank in advance for your help!

Bye,

John
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
formatj
post Thu 7 Nov 2002, 18:30
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 5,658

In logic you will have to set up an audio input object in the audio mixer.
What version of logic are you running?

Also make sure that you have set up logic to work with mac AV in your Audio Hardware and Drivers and that "software monitoring" is turned on.

Lastly make sure that in your Sound Control panel (in apple menu) that your Input is set to mic/line in not internal CD.

Let me know if this makes sense, I can go into more detail if needed.

format j

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Fri 8 Nov 2002, 00:24
Post #3

Maniac Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,082

hmmm,,, what i noticed was you didn't mention what you are using for an audio interface, My first guess is that you have some how used adapters to connect the 1/4" ouput of the DX-7 to your 1/8" mic input and I am pretty sure that won't work. That input was designed mainly to work with computer microphones which have different signal levels and such and they don't accept just any input. At least you will need something like the $40 imic interface to get the DX-7 sound into computer but I don't recommend it personally as I have seen many unhappy users. I suggest looking into some audio interfaces such as the Emi 2/6 or M-Audio interface or MBox. wink.gif

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post
kaboombahchuck
post Fri 8 Nov 2002, 00:55
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,003

Well I'm not shure what type of mac your using, but I have my mixer sound out running into my sound in of my iMac g3, and it works just fine. Try going to your sound control panel Choose sound in and check play through, also make sure that you have checked sound through on your recording program.

--------------------
kaboombahchuck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
post Mon 11 Nov 2002, 00:25
Post #5

Group:

Hi,

Thank you all for your help : )
I'm running LA 4.8.1(or Pro Tools Free) and as Synthetic guessed, I use an adapters to connect the 1/4" ouput of the DX7 into the mic input of the imac.
I don't have any audio interface (too expensive...) so it seems that's the problem!

On Pro Tools guide (p.106) I've read that "the recorded Midi data plays back through the track's assigned instrument and channel".
So, it seems normal that while playing Midi tracks on the sequencer, there is no sound going out of the imac speakers (?).
In order to listen to Midi tracks I previously recorded, I unplugged the connection between the DX7 output and the sound input of the mac (via the adapter!), and directly connected the DX7 to my stereo.
It worked but is it it way to work with Midi tracks on Pro Tools and Logic?
I'm not so familiar with sequencers, if I would like to work with audio and midi tracks together (e.g. one track for my guitar, another one for the DX7) how shall I do?
Thanks again!

John

+Quote Post
damann
post Wed 13 Nov 2002, 01:27
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,044

QUOTE (hamard @ Nov 10 2002, 23:25)
On Pro Tools guide (p.106) I've read that "the recorded Midi data plays back through the track's assigned instrument and channel".
So, it seems normal that while playing Midi tracks on the sequencer, there is no sound going out of the imac speakers (?).
In order to listen to Midi tracks I previously recorded, I unplugged the connection between the DX7 output and the sound input of the mac (via the adapter!), and directly connected the DX7 to my stereo.
It worked but is it it way to work with Midi tracks on Pro Tools and Logic?
I'm not so familiar with sequencers, if I would like to work with audio and midi tracks together (e.g. one track for my guitar, another one for the DX7) how shall I do?
Thanks again!

John

hi hamard,

the idea with logic and protools is that you send midi information from your keyboard via a midi interface in order to record this information.
then you can send this information to a synth via the midi interface's out port to play it back(output of the dx7 goes into the mac's mic input). this way you can feed the mac sound output into your amp and leave it that way. cool.gif
this isn't ideal, the mic input isn't going to give you a good sound, basically because the dx7 output is line level not mic level.
i suggest you download some free virtual instruments like crystal, muon tau, cesynth, neon, zr1&3, crazy diamond, dmi flute, free alpha and loads more! you can then play midi information (recorded with the dx7) back with these, set up on your audio instrument tracks in logic. wink.gif
i hope this helps, post for more info...

--------------------
one for all and all for one...

+Quote Post
post Wed 13 Nov 2002, 11:17
Post #7

Group:

Hi Damann,

The sound output of DX7 is connected to the mic input of the imac but it just doesn't sound from the Imac!
I also expected to have, at least, a poor signal and to enhance it via the internal preamp of my multitrack recorder...

+Quote Post
Levon River
post Wed 13 Nov 2002, 13:32
Post #8

Member No.: 6,734

Check the length of male end of the adapter you're using to go into the Mac; check it against the plug of a Mac mic that works, if possible. The wrong length plug on the adapter will not properly connect with the insides of the input plug, and there is more than one length. On some computers Apple used some funky thing that you can find an adapter for, but it might take a little legwork.

If that doesn't work and isn't the problem, maybe invest in Griffin Technology's iMic (around 50 bucks) to at least get you going. That boosts the signal to where it needs to be.

+Quote Post
post Wed 13 Nov 2002, 14:54
Post #9

Group:

Thanks for pointing this possible issue related to the plugs lengths.
I've got 2 similars adapters and there is no result with both. Since these are standard products I'm not really sure if this is really what I should focus on.
As Synthetic previously mentionned, I'm quite sure it's a pb of signal levels, but why???!!!!!
Apple computers are not expensive enough so that I should not need to invest in any audio card (I'm just talking about amateurs not professionals)?
Well, I should borrow an audio interface in a shop and see if it comes from this lack....that would be the easiest way to solve the problem.

+Quote Post
damann
post Thu 14 Nov 2002, 02:13
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,044

the point levon is making is the fact that on older macs, the mic input expects a custom apple 1/8th inch jack that's a few millimetres longer than your standard 1/8th inch jacks. wink.gif
obviously, if this were to be the problem, your connectors just wouldn't be long enough to make the connection.
if this isn't the problem, 2 things...
1. i have witnessed such poor signals that they don't appear to exist until the file has been normalised. you could check if this is the case, or...
2. seems too obvious, but have you selected the internal mic as the sound input in your sound control panel? formatj asked you this but i didn't see a response from you to this question.
ultimately, i think you could do worse than follow levon river's advice, get an imic from griffin technologies! they're extremely cheap, and, although not great, get the job done. cool.gif
keep posting m8...

--------------------
one for all and all for one...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 28 Apr 2024, 17:47
- © MacMusic 1997-2008