MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Exhausted - Don't Know What To Do Next, Alesis HD24XR, and MacPro Dual Quad
dad4mad
post Thu 22 Jan 2009, 01:37
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 106,119

I've had so many recommendations that my head is going to explode, and yet I'm still asking for help - [size="4"][/size] begging for help.
I have an Alesis HD24XR and a brand new MacPro Dual Quad, 3TB/16GB RAM.
I used to have a Dell, and after fighting this thing (that's why they call 'em workstation) I finally gave up, took out my drives, threw it down the stairs, then went online and bought the Mac.
I don't want to invest in cheap bottom of the line stuff, but don't have a lot of cash after buying the Mac
I am in need of help finding the right interface (or sound card) and the right software for the Mac.
I've been told ProTools is good, but I want to move 24 tracks, so do I need to spend a ton of money
The M2...whatever only does two tracks.

Help i am lost!!
I'm an old school analog guy, wanting to get into the DAW age... rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
deaconblue
post Thu 22 Jan 2009, 06:11
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,156

hey dad4mad,

The MacPro has Optical digital audio input and output TOSLINK ports and it would appear that the Alesis HD24XR does as well. You could get by using Logic Studio or Logic Express or even Garage Band to get the audio mixed down to 8 tracks out via a bus if the Alesis supports it to the digital optical audio out and into a DAW of your choice with fairly good results and no more expense.

With the Alesis, I am not sure why you are wanting to do the computer DAW instead since the studio in a box design of the HD24XR should be a fairly straight forward transition from analog. However, I personally could never get my head around the SIB interface of the HD recorders.

So, if you are trying to get into the computer DAW world for the additional flexibility and control, I'd recommend a hardware interface that suits your specific application (not software, but the how, why and what you are recording).

The MOTU boxes are excellent. I use an original 828 FireWire interface with Digital Performer, Logic Studio, Logic Express, Garage Band, Audacity and Peak depending on the task at hand. For versatility and robust projects I rely on Logic Studio primarily. (project studio, multi channel 'recording projects'; album, EP, etc.)

I use an M-Audio MobilePre USB with Logic Express and Garage Band to do two channel mobile captures with a PowerBook. (interviews, podcasts, small club, coffee shop, etc. live captures)

I use an Alesis IO|26 and Logic Express/Garage Band to do multi channel captures with a PowerBook. (club, bar, middle size venues, podcasts, live captures).

You can spend as much or as little as you want to/need to and buy all kinds of hardware. However, I would say take the time to go to a music store in your area and ask to see some of the DAWs in action. Look for a good interface (these are just a couple of those available these days) and get a MIDI control surface to help you with the transition from an analog board to a DAW. Ideally, you are looking for something that is the most comfortable for you since you are already familiar with recording techniques and are only needing a new paradigm to explore. The more comfortable that transition is the less stress and frustration you will feel once you make it. And that means more creativity and less teeth grinding, hair pulling, WTF?!? of a new system that feels foreign.

My recommendation is Logic. But that is because it is what I am most familiar with besides Digital Performer, with my primary reason being that I am able to open up files from Logic Express and even GarageBand with a single click to open and convert them without loosing anything in the process. Pick the one that feels the best and meets your technical needs. You've already made the biggest shift. From a Windows based PC to a Mac. The rest is just getting it under you hands again.

I know that is a long answer to your question, especially given the first line of your post being "I've had so many recommendations...", and I hope I have not made it worse for you. I truly hope this helps in your quest.

peace.

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 28 Apr 2024, 09:25
- © MacMusic 1997-2008