MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Help Choosing Synth!, Recommendations needed
Neilsonite
post Fri 4 Oct 2002, 08:44
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,065

Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie in the process of researching a synth to buy, and I need some advice. Here are some useful details...
I will be using this live, and as a controller keyboard with the computer.
I want a range of quality 'normal' sounds, particularly piano, electric piano (Rhodes, etc), organ, and strings, as well as 'synth' style sounds such as pads, FX, etc (similar to those found in Reason, ie the samplers and Subtractor and Maelstrom synths). I don't need lots of drums, guitars, or other instruments - just 'keyboard' sounds. (He says, stating the obvious)... smile.gif
I want a reasonably good keyboard (preferably with a piano-ish feel), but the sound quality is more important to me than the keyboard quality (although I realise that this will affect playability - I just want something good, not stellar and expensive).
Sequencing is not important, although some limited sequencing may come in useful in the future.
I don't mind if it's an all-in-one job or a separate sound module and keyboard. I don't want to spend too much, but I'm willing to be realistic in terms of paying for sound quality.
Any suggestions? Any ones to avoid? Any ones that are particularly good value for the money?
Thanks,
Neilsonite
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
filarion
post Fri 4 Oct 2002, 12:01
Post #2

Member No.: 5,666

Very hard to give good advice if you don't tell us how much you're willing to spend since a lot of synths fall into that category. I have been using a Kurzweil K2000 for a while and it would fit your bill - myself, I recently bought a Yamaha EX5 - it has quite a few faults (SLOW SCSI being the major one), but it features sampling, a sequencer, tons of different synthesis options (Yamaha's VL synthesis for physical modelling being one of em) and has a great 76 key keyboard, ribbon controller, endless knobs, etc. Certainly not for everyone though, but it's pretty cheap considering its features (I paid 1000 Euro, including the SCSI kit, digi out, 64 meg ram, 16 meg flashram, etc). I've also owned an Alesis QS6, can't recommend it though unless you only want good organ sounds.

If you don't have a budget, get a Triton Studio or a Kurzweil K2600. From what I've heard from fellow musicians, the Roland Fantom ain't a good deal. The Yamaha Motif (the EX5's successor) is pretty nice, but not cheap either.

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Fri 4 Oct 2002, 16:53
Post #3

Maniac Member

Member No.: 1,082

yep... i highly recommend the Yamaha Motif too... I have the CS6x which was basically same as Motif but Motif is newer upgraded model... anyhow I love my CS6x and can only imagine the Motif being tons better.

the Kurzweil K2600 is a good choice too... seen Jordan Rudess (Dream Thearter) play one in a video and it was very cool with its sampling features and it has nice action keyboard.

some synths such as the Phantom, Karma, and such are more of a gimmick that anything... not that they don't offer cool sounds but they are not packed with the best natural instrument sounds and don't offer weighted keys like pianos... but then again my CS6x doesn't either and I learned to live with it... if there are any dealers near you... i suggest trying to visit one and try some demos out to see how they work, feel and sound. I never thought much of the Alesis 6.1 but after hearing some if its sounds and playing the keyboard and such... it changed my opinion and may have to get one some day to add to my collection wink.gif

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post
bixpender
post Sat 5 Oct 2002, 09:00
Post #4

Member No.: 6,131

KURZWEIL K2600

+Quote Post
Neilsonite
post Mon 7 Oct 2002, 07:04
Post #5

Member No.: 7,065

Hey everyone, thanks for your input! Tha Kurzweil sounds great, I will go check it out. A friend just recommended the Yamaha S-08 as having a nice keyboard and good sounds for a pretty good price. Anyone had any experience with this one? How does it compare to somthing like the Kurzweil or the Motif? (Sorry if this is a stupid question - newbie, remember!).
Thanks, Neilsonite

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Mon 30 Sep 2024, 15:28
- © 440 Forums 2011