MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Show Of Hand For Entry Level Software And Hardware, Recommendation
lantzn
post Fri 18 Oct 2002, 23:49
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,347

Hi All,
I've spent the last week looking into all the possible ways on getting my son's band's music into my computer to edit and burn. I'm talking entry-level here. It seems that most of the high-end products from all the software companies are just now showing up for OS X. I'm sure the entry-level software will follow.

Here is the software I've looked into.
Steinberg Cubase SX released, no mention of a VST version yet.
Emagic Logic Platinum released, no mention of MicroLogic AV yet.
Digidesign Pro Tools announced, no mention of LE yet.
MOTU Digital Performer announced, no mention of entry-level software yet.

I've looked into the following hardware.
Griffin iMic
MBox
EMI 6/2
Midiman/M-Audio USB Quattro and Duo

I want to stay away from the PCI stuff because we have a G4 tower and iMac and want to be able to swap the hardware between the machines. Ultimately I want a piece of entry level hardware that will work with all the entry level software that will make it to OS X. The Midiman stuff looks to be vary promising and already has Jaguar drivers! I'm going to a demo they are having next Friday in Seattle.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the entry-level software that currently exists for OS 9 from the four software companies above. This will help me decide when they release their OS X versions. I'm interested in a modern GUI and a fairly easy learning curve. I did notice that some of the software was geared more for the midi stuff while others for the band music stuff. I'd rather be able to buy a VARIETY of less expensive software to go with my hardware then a single expensive high-end product.

thanks

--------------------
----

Relax, don't worry, have my homebrew.

Russian Imperial Stout (aged 1 year) currently on tap.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Presto
post Sun 20 Oct 2002, 22:51
Post #2

Maniac Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,984

I like (because I have) the Mbox with Protools Le (on OS9 for the moment but OSX coming).
Its excellent portable quality for little money and very simple to use with audio (no midi interface - you can get that later if you need to). Only 2 inputs so only two good recording mics to put in (they can be expensive - pros use lots of mics on just the drums). Have a look at a pair of DPA 4060 miniature mics if you want them nicely portable and much less fragile than studio mics. You'd only get one stereo (or 2 monos if you really want) at a time but I must admit I love "live" sound as compared to a pile of monos. The drums (and drummer!) may cause a problem but you can always record them separately. Hum! then you'd need to fix phones (cheap ones) for each musician.

I work on my own music on my own, so I don't really know if my stuff is good for a group yet. Still, I'll be making a stereo recording with the Mbox and comparing with a live multitrack recording made (using stage mics) at the same time on my friends group (hopefully in the next few weeks).

I bet you end up getting hooked and spending loads on all the other things you find are "highly desireable" (even good cables!). I'm a beginner and will use a pro's ears and expensive equipment to tidy up my work before getting my CDs out - much cheaper and better results.

Good luck smile.gif

--------------------
Without shit, we wouldn't be here ;)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 11 May 2024, 14:37
- © MacMusic 1997-2008