MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Mac User?, Newbie questions
Kaumbo
post Fri 22 Feb 2008, 11:31
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98,815

Hello there. I'm new here I'm considering to get a Mac (I think it works better for making music - and this is a question I'd like you to answer).
I am new in music production either.
Should I get a Mac? Is it better?
thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cidsinga
post Fri 22 Feb 2008, 14:43
Post #2

Member No.: 21,095

Yes, you should! ;-)

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Sat 23 Feb 2008, 07:20
Post #3

Member No.: 11,156

The beauty of using a Mac is that the computer hardware and software are designed to work together 100%. PCs, even really good ones, are put together with pieces from various manufacturers and that means you need drivers from various vendors. The fewer vendors involved in getting your OS and hardware to work together, the less time you'll spend troubleshooting problems with your machine.

Relatively speaking, the Mac is much more integrated at all levels, so you'll have more time to spend learning your software and building your core skills in music production. And less time having to be a computer geek.

And I say that because I am a computer geek and love my Mac 'cause I don't have to be.

peace.

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Sat 23 Feb 2008, 07:42
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

I love mine and it's old by current standards.

+Quote Post
Guitardaddy
post Sat 23 Feb 2008, 11:29
Post #5

Member No.: 36,837

QUOTE (Kaumbo @ Fri 22 Feb 2008, 10:31) *
Hello there. I'm new here I'm considering to get a Mac (I think it works better for making music - and this is a question I'd like you to answer).
I am new in music production either.
Should I get a Mac? Is it better?
thanks

It really doesn't matter, they both do the same thing with regard to recording music on a computer
I would do some research on what is the best recording software for what you want to do and choose from there

+Quote Post
Kaumbo
post Sat 23 Feb 2008, 12:15
Post #6

Member No.: 98,815

Thanks! I think (despite the buy of a Mac) I'll get the Logic studio.
Furthermore, what's your suggestion about:
--Nordlead 2
--TB 303
--a good soundcard
--a good monitor
?

This post has been edited by Kaumbo: Sat 23 Feb 2008, 12:15

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
post Sat 23 Feb 2008, 15:11
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 76,633

Kaumbo,

{Friday February 22, 2008. 11:31
Hello there. I'm new here I'm considering to get a Mac (I think it works better for making music - and this is a question I'd like you to answer). I am new in music production either. Should I get a Mac? Is it better?
thanks}

Kaumbo... Both Mac and PC can accomplish the job of Music Production/Creation... If money is not a problem, get a Macintosh.

+Quote Post
qusp74
post Sat 23 Feb 2008, 15:39
Post #8

Member No.: 92,865

definitely you should. even taking money into it; these days macs pricing compares favourably with any QUALITY PC; sure you can get a peace of crap cheap PC for less but the amount of time spent keeping it breathing will soon increase that price. Its down to personal preference these days really, My preference is MAC all the way. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by qusp74: Sat 23 Feb 2008, 15:46

--------------------
Jeremy Glover graphic designer and compositor extraordinair but a relative novice at audio
Mac G5 1.8DP 4gig ram .. RME Hammerfall DSP 9632 .. Behringer ADA8000 adat interface
• KRK ROKIT 6 and RP10S•Micro korg Synth/vocoder with RODE NT2-A
Logic pro 7 NI kontakt, battery FM8, Altiverb Arturia Moog modular minimoog arp2600.

+Quote Post
qusp74
post Sat 23 Feb 2008, 16:30
Post #9

Member No.: 92,865

Really though, it sounds to me like you are shopping out of a catalog; and that you seem to be wanting to buy what other people are using. If budget really isn't an issue, I recomend that you go into your nearest quality music store, wave some money around and ask if you can try before you buy. Buy yourself a good computer (a mac pro will do fine), a monster synth (your Nord will do well here), a quality interface (anything by RME or MOTU, which model will depend on how many ins and outs you require), and as for your monitors ( my KRK's are great but with a larger bank balance I would buy Dynaudio), but with this section more than most is down to what sounds good to you; some would disagree because to the untrained ear, big sound sounds better but in the recording environment a fairly uncoloured sound is normally preferred. I like a little Flavour myself tongue.gif

That; I think, apart from the purchase of sequencing software (Logic, Cubase etc) is where you should pause and work with that for a while before breaking the bank buying what you think you need rather than what you actually need. Play with that for a while until you notice any gaps that need filling.

In finishing quality music doesn't come from a box, it comes from the heart. I wont comment further because I don't know what your musical background is. Get to know your gear, take some short courses if you have the time and Jam, Jam, Jam.

This post has been edited by qusp74: Sat 23 Feb 2008, 16:36

--------------------
Jeremy Glover graphic designer and compositor extraordinair but a relative novice at audio
Mac G5 1.8DP 4gig ram .. RME Hammerfall DSP 9632 .. Behringer ADA8000 adat interface
• KRK ROKIT 6 and RP10S•Micro korg Synth/vocoder with RODE NT2-A
Logic pro 7 NI kontakt, battery FM8, Altiverb Arturia Moog modular minimoog arp2600.

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Sun 24 Feb 2008, 07:08
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

The money is not that much of an issue either....there are guys that are doing incredible stuff with Mac Minis even.....the Mac Pro is expensive but, for what it does, you will spend just as much if not more for an equivalent PC.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 14:23
- © MacMusic 1997-2008