MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Music Software For Pub Quiz?, simple editing software suggestions required
bramblebunny
post Mon 7 May 2007, 15:13
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 90,967

I am looking for some simple cheap/free software that I can use to edit little 20 second or thereabouts bits of a song for a 'name that tune' section of a pub quiz. I have been using Sound Studio, which works great, albeit fiddly as I have to convert the song bits into a different format in Itunes before I can burn them onto a cd. But I've used up my free trial and the software costs $80, and for my unpaid pub quiz, and the fact that I am only using a very small fraction of the software means I can't justify buying it. I run OS 10.3 on an ibook G4. I've tried downloading Cacophony and audacity, but I haven't been able to figure out whether they can do this, or how. In Sound Studio, you can listen to the track, and put in markers, then split the segments, and just use the one that i need. Does anyone know of another programme that will do this? I'm not the hugest whiz on this type of thing, so the simpler the better. I don't want to have to go back to trying to do it on cassette with the pause button! Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
analog
post Tue 8 May 2007, 06:59
Post #2

Member No.: 53,650

Try Audacity!

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Good Luck

AnalogHDESC

--------------------
analoghdesc

+Quote Post
cheekypaul
post Tue 8 May 2007, 12:29
Post #3

Member No.: 33,831

QUOTE (bramblebunny @ Mon 7 May 2007, 14:13) *
I am looking for some simple cheap/free software that I can use to edit little 20 second or thereabouts bits of a song for a 'name that tune' section of a pub quiz. I have been using Sound Studio, which works great, albeit fiddly as I have to convert the song bits into a different format in Itunes before I can burn them onto a cd. But I've used up my free trial and the software costs $80, and for my unpaid pub quiz, and the fact that I am only using a very small fraction of the software means I can't justify buying it. I run OS 10.3 on an ibook G4. I've tried downloading Cacophony and audacity, but I haven't been able to figure out whether they can do this, or how. In Sound Studio, you can listen to the track, and put in markers, then split the segments, and just use the one that i need. Does anyone know of another programme that will do this? I'm not the hugest whiz on this type of thing, so the simpler the better. I don't want to have to go back to trying to do it on cassette with the pause button! Thanks.

have you seen the music game for ipods? it's adaptable by users. or so i've read. try itunes store

--------------------
MacBook Pro,750gb internal,3gb RAM,Pro Tools,Live,Reason,Reaktor,Transit/410/Audiophile.

+Quote Post
jeffcloke
post Wed 9 May 2007, 08:04
Post #4

Member No.: 75,834

I'd endorse the Audacity recommendation, not only cos it's free.

You can simply highlight the section you want, then edit->duplicate and your section appears in a new track. You can then apply EQ (you may have chosen a quiet bit) and fade in/out before exporting as wav, mp3 etc. You could even apply some distortion effects to make the quiz more difficult!

Good luck.

+Quote Post
bramblebunny
post Thu 10 May 2007, 16:15
Post #5

Member No.: 90,967

Thanks for the audacity recommendations. I downloaded it, and it doesn't seem to work right. I open a song, and hit play, and you just get one loud noice, with a highlight of the left speaker section, and nothing else. I've fiddled about with cacophony, and I can more or less get what I want with that... I just liked the fact that on sound studio you can insert markers while you listen, so you can stop and start exactly where you want... like just in front of where the title lyrics are.

I will check out the apple store for the ipod game as well.

thanks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 27 Apr 2024, 12:00
- © MacMusic 1997-2008