MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Problem With Digidesigns Delay Ii's And/or Pro Tools Le, unwanted delays
MKZ131
post Sat 24 Mar 2007, 19:07
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 89,686

Hello Mac Musicians

This is a problem I discovered after upgrading to PT 7.3.1 LE from 6.4
and I hope to find some answers. If you find it hard to understand what i'm trying to say, i've posted screen shots of routing, plugins, and waveforms.

This is driving me nuts.... aaaaaargh...

This is the problem I had:

I upgraded to LE 7.3.1 a month or so ago... and i've come across the following problem

When i'm building a ping pong delay with the following method, some kind of digital distortion is introduced to the signal. (This happens only after the signal has gone through the cycle once, Meaning Source-Left-Right-Left(distorted)-right(more distorted)-left(even more distorted)

I'm not overloading the bus and nothing is clipping.
I'm also not using anything else but DigiDelay (no additional EQ, distortion etc)

this is the way I do it:

Track X --> send bus 9 -->aux 1 (delay Left)
aux 1 (delay 1) --> send bus 10 --> aux 2 (delay right)
and back from aux 2 (delay Right)-->send bus 9 --> aux 1

The weird part is that this only happens when i'm using "parallel" buses for example 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6 etc..

The problem disappears when I use "non-parallel" busses like bus 1 to delay Left and bus 3 to Delay Right.

And I found more problems after trying to figure this out:

I was "investigating"this problem today and made a test session with just a mono source track (a snare sample right on the grid on the first beats of the first bar and the second bar at 111 bpm (manual tempo)) and two mono delays "feeding" each other
in the ping-pong fashion. The delays are set to 8th notes, lockin to the manual tempo of 111bpm. Here's a jpg of the setup:

The setup (Mixer view with plugins and buses)
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...007/xSetUp.jpg

I noticed that the "distortion" I was talking about earlier was not distortion per se but sort of a flam effect that was introduced to the delays. And this happened when I was using "parallel" buses. (i'm not sure if "parallel" is the right term, but what I mean is buses that are/can be a stereo pair like 1 and 2, 3 and 4 and so on. )

While doing this I also noticed another problem: The delays were all late except for the first one. To make sure I was really hearing this I made a click track and routed the source track, the delays, and the click to another bus and recorded the result. The delays were about 1000 samples late and this "distance" grew with more repeat delays. This problem was present when I was using "parallel" buses (9 and 10) as well as "non-parallel" buses (9 and 11).

Here are screen captures of this:

The problem with the unwanted delay:
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...anteddelay.jpg

the problem with using "parallel" buses:
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...allelbuses.jpg

I also noticed that although the click was right on grid most of the time, there was one instance where the click also was late! (in relation to the grid)

Click late:
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...xclicklate.jpg

I have:
1.8Ghz Dual Mac G5 with 2 Gigs of RAM
Pro Tools LE 7.3.1
Digi002 rack
I have no cracked software/plugins

This is really buggin me... I've only noticed this problem after I upgraded to 7.3.1. And to my knowledge (I'm not a very computer technical person) a delay set up like this should be pretty easy for the computer or the software to process. So I'm wondering if something like this is happening with some even more intensive internal processes. I don't think this is caused by my computer, it seems like more of a bug of somekind in the PT LE 7.3.1 but like I said, I'm not very technical when it comes to computers and such.

If you have any idea what might be wrong, please reply.

Has anyone else encountered this in 7.3.1 LE? (or TDM)?

And if you have or haven't, what do you think is the source of this problem?

Thanks a lot!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 21 May 2024, 12:11
- © MacMusic 1997-2008