MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Audio To Midi, converting audio to midi
Mr. Jason E. Lec...
post Fri 23 Feb 2007, 06:27
Post #11

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,692

yeah, sorry about that. it came out substantially more aggressive than it was supposed to. i really do love how helpful people are here at this site. i was just being a bit grumpy blink.gif sorry!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
musos
post Sat 24 Feb 2007, 22:29
Post #12

Member No.: 39,861

I have used Logic for many years and have had partial but not very satisfactory success with its audio-to-midi function. (Just mentioning this - you said you didn't want an expensive DAW...)

Melodyne is far better, but it isn't cheap either.

Bear in mind that any conversion of this kind relies on how clean the original audio is, and will only work on monophonic material. A piano with its sustain may well confuse the software.

I think there's a demo of Melodyne - why don't you try it (www.celemony.com)

+Quote Post
arvidtp
post Sun 25 Feb 2007, 19:09
Post #13

Member No.: 12,850

Yes - this is difficult to do. Logic does OK, but what annoys me is that u dont get to hear it and see if you set it correctly until all the processing is done. So I would do it using Max/MSP. However, MaxMSP is expensive if u dont already own it, and you wanted free - so try using Max's open-source cousin, PD.

Here's a free, though somewhat involved way:

one could pretty easily build a patch in PD

http://crca.ucsd.edu/%7Emsp/software.html

that you feed audio using jack

http://www.jackosx.com/

or soundflower

http://www.cycling74.com/downloads/soundflower

and that spits out MIDI notes to an IAC bus that u set up in AudioMIDI Setup back to whatever MIDI sequencer u are using in realtime. I this case u would also have full control over conditioning the input audio and output MIDI data using pd and get the results as it was happening.

The realtime pitch estimation object in pd is "fiddle~". (Create an new file, put an object, type "fiddle~" into it, then right-click it for help and a functioning patch will open showing how fiddle~ works. You can play with and even copy and paste from this patch into yours.)

A non-interactive version could also use soundfile playback and do MIDI file recording all within PD and u could import the MIDI file into your sequencer.

best,
Arvid

This post has been edited by arvidtp: Sun 25 Feb 2007, 19:19

--------------------
-Arvid •• Squish the Squid Productions, Modest Machine

•• digitally augmented trumpet, TOOB, flugelhorn, cracklebox, percussicube, no-input-mixers and Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz 15", MacOS 10.5, MOTU Ultralite, Logic Studio 9, MaxMSP 5, JackOSX ••
•• Electronic-experimental, jazz, digital instrument design, electronics, unique software and performance.••

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 27 Apr 2024, 19:51
- © MacMusic 1997-2008