MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Where To Put What - Logic, Etc.
rcross73
post Mon 27 Nov 2006, 23:40
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 73,128

Hello everyone. I will be receiving my new Mac in a couple of days, and I want to know where to put what files to optimize performance of my audio software. Here are the details:

System:
15.4" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120 GB 5400rpm HD
External HD: 250 GB 7200rpm via Firewire 800 (WD MyBookPro - also brand new)

Running:
Logic Express 7.2
Reason 3.0.5 (usually via ReWire as a slave to Logic)
Reason Drum Kits 2.0 (big, and and with various other refills as well)
GarageBand Jam Packs 1 and 4 (a big one)
Line6 GearBox (and I think I might buy the plug-in upgrade)
Amplitube 2.0 (and I might also buy NI Guitar Rig 2.0)

So I assume that all of my programs themselves should be installed on the internal hard drive, and that I should record all of my audio files to the external hard drive. But what about the plug-ins, samples, etc. (Reason Drum Kits, refills, Jam Packs, Amplitube, et. al.)? Do these go on the external? Or will that be bad for performance? Simply put, what goes where?

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
2.33 GHz MBP C2D, 3GB RAM
120GB 5400rpm internal, 500GB 7200rpm eSATA external, 250GB 7200rpm FW800 external
Logic Studio, Reason 3, Reason Drum Kits 2, Reason Pianos, various refills, Line6 TonePort & GearBox Plug-Ins, Alesis i/O 26, Amplitube 2, Ampeg SVX, CSR, T-RackS, EZDrummer and various add-ons, Nomad Factory Studio Pro Bundle (Blue Tubes Bundle v3 & v2, Analog Signature Pack, BlueVerb DRV-2080, Essential Studio Suite, Liquid Bundle 2)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
lepetitmartien
post Tue 28 Nov 2006, 14:59
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

The plug-ins themselves are to be installed in their proper folder in the libraries/sound/ now the samples/libraries they use can most of the time be elsewhere than the system hard drive.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
rcross73
post Tue 28 Nov 2006, 18:09
Post #3

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 73,128

QUOTE (lepetitmartien @ Tue 28 Nov 2006, 13:59) *
The plug-ins themselves are to be installed in their proper folder in the libraries/sound/ now the samples/libraries they use can most of the time be elsewhere than the system hard drive.

Thanks for this. But to take it one step further: SHOULD the samples/libraries be installed on my external or on the internal? I'd like to have them at my disposal when I'm not using the external. But if it will drastically increase recording power/performance, I will put them on the external. What do you think?

--------------------
2.33 GHz MBP C2D, 3GB RAM
120GB 5400rpm internal, 500GB 7200rpm eSATA external, 250GB 7200rpm FW800 external
Logic Studio, Reason 3, Reason Drum Kits 2, Reason Pianos, various refills, Line6 TonePort & GearBox Plug-Ins, Alesis i/O 26, Amplitube 2, Ampeg SVX, CSR, T-RackS, EZDrummer and various add-ons, Nomad Factory Studio Pro Bundle (Blue Tubes Bundle v3 & v2, Analog Signature Pack, BlueVerb DRV-2080, Essential Studio Suite, Liquid Bundle 2)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 12 May 2024, 07:49
- © MacMusic 1997-2008