MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2nd Mic For One Source, things to consider
Presto
post Mon 26 Aug 2002, 13:34
Post #1

Maniac Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,984

I'm intending buying a second mic, but as sometimes I'd like to use both on the same sound source, is there anything I should know before choosing, and then when using (such as phase considerations).

I have a Rode NT2 and am interested in the miniature DPA 4060 for its portability.

Any comments?

--------------------
Without shit, we wouldn't be here ;)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Mon 26 Aug 2002, 14:55
Post #2

Maniac Member

Member No.: 1,082

i think it really depends on what you plan on recording such as vocals, bass, guitar, drums etc. If the Rode is your only current mic.... I might suggest a workhorse mic like the Shure SM57. It is used a lot for percussion and instrument mic applications and MOBY even uses it for vocals but I am sure there are a few other mics that would be worth considering for a second mic as well.

Do you like the Rode NT2? What do you record with it? Just curious as I am considering purchasing a nice condensor mic myself. I currently own just the SM57 and want something a little better for vocals and acoustic guitar.

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post
Presto
post Mon 26 Aug 2002, 18:43
Post #3

Maniac Member

Member No.: 3,984

What I'm asking about is possible technical problems (such as phase) using 2 mics on the same source. While I'm at it, I should specify that I don't mean placing techniques for stereo considerations.

I can't say I'm not interested in the relative qualities of mics (for baby to adult voices, also various noises), but that's not what I'm asking about here.

(Off topic: I tried the SM57 with an imic, Recordit, and no pre! - the result was shitty. I now use the NT2 with an Mbox and Beyer DT250 phones and the sounds I hear seem undistorted, crystal clear, and loud - wonderful to me. Still, I'd need to borrow other mics to compare. We should push the Parisian MacMusians to get together with their various mics and to write us a comparative article)

--------------------
Without shit, we wouldn't be here ;)

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Mon 26 Aug 2002, 21:12
Post #4

Maniac Member

(Off topic: I tried the SM57 with an imic, Recordit, and no pre! - the result was shitty. I now use the NT2 with an Mbox and Beyer DT250 phones and the sounds I hear seem undistorted, crystal clear, and loud - wonderful to me. Still, I'd need to borrow other mics to compare. We should push the Parisian MacMusians to get together with their various mics and to write us a comparative article)

Well you went from $40 imic to $500 Mbox which may account for some of the difference in sound quality I am not sure I would trust the imic for quality anyhow so it may not totally have been the SM57 at fault. I have used the SM57 a few times with vocals and bass on my Digi001 with ok results. Wasn't superb but wasn't really crappy either.

Getting opinions on mics is nice but I have a feeling that it may not totally give an accurate view of actual performance. The reason I say this is gathered from reading many articles in Electronic Musician, The Mix, TapeOp, and ReMix magazines. It seems there are some mics that are favorites but everyone seems to have different opinions for the most part about which mic is best suited for what type of recording. It would be interesting to see the results though.

Ad for the phasing concerns... that's a good question. That may be a trial and error tupe of thing unless someone happens to use a NT2 with another mic as well. I think the phasing should be really close if mic'ed from near the same position from the sound source but my mic experience is more from reading than using wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Mon 26 Aug 2002, 21:51
Post #5

Maniac Member

was browsing M-Audio site and seen this article on microphones that I thought might help you out a little or may not... I am going to read later this eve but I thought I would post if anyone was interested. smile.gif

http://www.m-audio.net/products/tutorials.php

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 27 Apr 2024, 17:06
- © 440 Forums 2011