MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Imac G3?
ehutch79
post Thu 3 Aug 2006, 14:35
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 82,023

I might be aquiring my roommates old imace g3 (dv edition so it has firewire) i already have a firewire alesis multimix that i use with my pc. when my band demos stuff out we usually lug my pc over to our practice space which is a pain. do you guys think itd be possible to use this imac to record demo stuff with? effects would be minimal if at all, probly 6-8 tracks recorded 'live' i HAVE to run osX for the drivers, and i know the machine will take it. just donno if itll keep up with everything else.

any suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
redstrype
post Thu 3 Aug 2006, 15:18
Post #2

Rookie

Member No.: 79,359

What are the spec's on the Mac? Boost up the RAM to a gig and it should work fine, as long as you keep the effects minimal. I used Pro Logic 6 on a G3 for a year and had few problems, of course I only used it for very basic recordings.

+Quote Post
ehutch79
post Thu 3 Aug 2006, 15:54
Post #3

Member No.: 82,023

its 400mhz 300something ram. i think audacity should work fine.

+Quote Post
fishboisfo
post Fri 4 Aug 2006, 06:05
Post #4

Member No.: 67,641

Hey man --

It depends on the software and DAW really. I wrote, recorded, and even (primatively) mastered my first album on a G3 ibook with 320 ram and a 10GB harddrive -- with an 80GB peripheral. It was / is the special edition DVD player version with grey ( not lime green ). I did the whole thing in about a year, and that was all I had. I used Live 4, then 5, then 5.2 to do all of at as a DAW. That set up will record, play and compose MIDI on, as well as run up to about 8-10 tracks not including a master track.
Be extra mindful of your plug-ins, espicially time and reverb ones, and you can do an awful lot on that little toilet seat shaped ibook. My set up is considerably better today, but not nearly as portable. GOOD LUCK !!

PS -- It still works and runs well and is in perfect condition. Whenever I travel, it goes with me, because you never know when inspiration is going to hit -- and it beats a sony micro-recorder anyday !!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Wed 2 Oct 2024, 05:02
- © MacMusic 1997-2008