MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> # Of Playback Audio Trax W/ 828 & 001 On G3 266mhz, Digi 001 vs. MOTU 828
reticulum4
post Tue 13 Aug 2002, 04:56
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,824

I have a beige G3 266mhz 98megs of RAM with an added firewire port....so I can either buy the MOTU 828 or the Digi 001. My main concern is the number of simultaneously playing audio trax with 2 or 3 effects that I willl be able to get (I am only concerned with playback, not so much recording). I think I heard this has something to do with the DSP processors that the interfaces come with, which takes a load off my slow CPU. Right now, just using sound manager (no hardware) and studio vision pro, I can only get about 6 simultaneously playing audio tracks & 2 effects per track....so anything would be an improvement.

Also, which is a better and more versatile package, MOTU 828 bundled with digital performer or Digi 001 bundled with Factory. I know there are more plugins available in MAS format than RTAS, but is that soon going to change? Is motu perhaps better since I am doing home recording? I want to get the most bang for my buck. I am interested in software synth compatibility also.

Thanks for your help!

Steve
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mr.T
post Tue 13 Aug 2002, 19:31
Post #2

SuperHero

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,244

Okayyyy... Let's start with the basics...

Digi 001 bundled with Factory.

-The Digi001 is not bundled with "Factory", it's bundled with Pro Tools LE ("Light"version of Pro Tools, the software). "Factory" is just the name of a bundle loaded with PT and different plugs (some kind of a special offer...).
I know there are more plugins available in MAS format than RTAS

-Whomever told you that is wrong!...
Is motu perhaps better since I am doing home recording?

It has nothing to do with the fact that you're doing home recording or not... Both Motu828+DP and DIGI001+PT are tools for home recording.
Now, which one is better?... All I can give you is some facts, for the rest do a search on those products in this forum (this subject has been discussed many times) or hang on (I'm pretty sure many people here will be delighted to spit on PT while other will advise you to "stay away from DP!"...Good luck!):
Fact #1: PT is actually limited to 24 tracks, but a 32 tracks version is on its way (there's already a beta version available). DP is only limited by the power of the computer's processors(s). BTW, DP supports Dual processors, PT doesn't...
Fact#2: both of them will be quite limited considering the Mac you have...sorry. But, you will surely be able to get more than 8 tracks... For example, I used to work on a G3 similar to yours and was able to reach the maximum track count (24 tracks). Troubles came when dealing with plugs or short edits.
Fact#3(almost a fact...): PT is known to be simplier to use for a beginner than DP. DP will take some more time to get used to. Both are good audio soft (whatever people might tell you).
Fact#4: choosing Digi's products (Pro tools+001) will be harder on your wallet. DP is cheaper, no question.
Fact#5: the 828 uses Firewire...The 001 uses one PCI slot (that can be important to know if you don't have any PCI slot left...).
Fact#6: on the synth. compatibility subject, Digidesign is known to be more closed (to say the least) to third party developpers. No Rewire available in PT for example...
Fact#7: I'm a Pro Tools user ! Wanna know why?... No, let's remain objective here...
Hope that helped.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 28 Apr 2024, 19:21
- © MacMusic 1997-2008