MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
> Studio Projects C1 Vs Audio Technia At4040, Which one for my saffire???
jdimitri
post Sat 18 Mar 2006, 14:02
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 75,204

Hi all! I've heard all about the C1 sounding like a U87 (i have no idea what that sounds like, but it sounds like it sounds good blink.gif )
But I've also read good reviews about the AT4040 and i think it looks better and more 'trustable' rolleyes.gif
Opinions please! ANY opinons welcome laugh.gif
Im going to use it with a saffire for recording my voice (male vocals)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
edge100
post Tue 21 Mar 2006, 20:05
Post #2

Rookie

Member No.: 43,617

QUOTE (jdimitri @ Mar 18 2006, 13:02)
Hi all! I've heard all about the C1 sounding like a U87 (i have no idea what that sounds like, but it sounds like it sounds good blink.gif )
But I've also read good reviews about the AT4040 and i think it looks better and more 'trustable' rolleyes.gif
Opinions please! ANY opinons welcome laugh.gif
Im going to use it with a saffire for recording my voice (male vocals)

A C1 does sound like a U87, in the sense that both have a clear, open high-end, and are suited to voices that are not prone to sibilance (like mine is), or that need some added clarity in the highs. The C1 (and the U87) often excel on smooth female voices, since the high end is very flattering, but as soon as you switch to someone with a thin voice, watch out because you're going to end up emphasizing the wrong frequencies.

But the C1 ISN'T a U87. While the frequency response is good, the U87 has a certain something that the C1 doesn't. The U87 can give you almost a stereo sound from a single mic, if that makes sense. But for 1/8th the price, the C1 is 90% there.

The AT4040 is a much pricier mic than the C1, and also very nice. It doesn't have quite the same high-end pattern as a C1, but is in the same sonic league, IMHO.

I own a C1, and I use it every day. Its not perfect for my voice, but on songs that are lower in my range, it can work very nicely. Its ok on acoustic guitar, but again this depends on the tone you get from the specific instrument.

I've used the 4040 a few times (though I dont own one), and found it to be very nice. But I don't have enough experience to tell you to get it or not.

I love my C1, but its not for everything. BTW, the Studio Projects VTB1 preamp really makes the C1 sing, and fattens it up a bit. Recommended.

+Quote Post
twits celso
post Fri 14 Jul 2006, 17:46
Post #3

Member No.: 60,926

The C1 (and the U87) often excel on smooth female voices, since the high end is very flattering, but as soon as you switch to someone with a thin voice, watch out because you're going to end up emphasizing the wrong frequencies.

I have a Studio Projects C3 (haven't heard the C1, but it's got to be reasonably similar), and as certain registers of my voice sound a bit thin, I do sometimes feel it's emphasizing the wrong frequencies.
Edge--if you happen to come by here again, can you recommend any mics in the $250-$350 range that DO work if your voice is a bit thin?

And to offer something to the original thread starter, I found adding a mic pre to the C3 made it sound MUCH better. I was originally using the pres on my Firebox (probably not extremely different than the Saphire), and getting a Groove Tubes Brick fattened it up and gave it a beautiful sheen. The VTB1 (which I considered buying) is supposed to be pretty good by most accounts.

PS: That lower-end Presonus (the TubePre?) has gotten some pretty mixed reviews--a lot of people cite its noise level as being too high.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 04:05
- © 440 Forums 2011