MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> G4 Finally Dies, What next for a 001 user
chordaroys
post Tue 28 Feb 2006, 06:14
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,131

Yes it has happened..... the trusty G4 has finally died. Logic board or perhaps the CPU says the tech man. Ohh the pain.

Could any of you knowledgable and experienced folk offer advise on the best way to go here.

Options that I see are

1. Trade the 001 in on a 002 and buy a new G5 or similar
2. New everything. Logic, Firebox, Mac
3. Secondhand G4 keep the 001
4. Don't spend anything - go to your friends place to record

I thought it would be an interesting topic to explore. Look forward to any advise. I would like to hear from people who have experienced similar and what path they took.

Thanks

The Roy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 28 Feb 2006, 06:28
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

(reminds me i've got to dive into my dead G3 and try to ressuscite it…)

Well… depend of your budget… as any move away from the 001 means new computer AND interface, and eventually software. (crashing open doors wink.gif

Where you happy with you set up? Do you need more power? More tracks?

The 001 is a "dead" interface now, so if you can, i'd say move on… but before going into the gear lust lists for G.A.S. cure, we need to know what you want to do more…

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
chordaroys
post Wed 1 Mar 2006, 06:35
Post #3

Thanks for the interest.

Budget - lets just say a G5 and firewire interface is what I would like to go to.

Happy with set up - Well yes but I'm not adverse to change. i have used logic express and would consider changing from PT.

Useage. - i like to continue recording drums and live takes. 8+ tracks required. I'm a guitarist and prefer to write in the folk/blues/rock genre. Not a sampler type musician. Although I do use midi keyboard for composition drafts.

As I am as you put it starting again I believe this could be an opportunity for people to advocate their dream start out set up. I've got loads of microphones but few outboard effects. Also a good room for recording in.

thanks again. Look forward to your interest and suggestions.

The Roy

+Quote Post
UP Multimedia
post Wed 1 Mar 2006, 07:29
Post #4

Rookie

Member No.: 69,997

I'm certain you could purchase another G4 for next to nothing... This way you don't have to spend the cash unless you really have it... I bet you can get a "Loaded Kick Ass G4 for $500 Dollars-Euros. But, if you 'Can' afford it... Buy a G5 Dual... Wicked... Trouble Free... Fast... Quiet... I'm in love...

+Quote Post
chordaroys
post Thu 2 Mar 2006, 00:34
Post #5

Does anyone know if this G4 would be compatible to run my digi 001 system? It is a secondhand machine I've located.

CPU: Dual Processor 1.25 GHz PowerPC
2 HARD DISK DRIVES
Hard Drive 1: 75 GB 7200 rpm
Hard Drive 2: 72 GB 7200rpm
RAM: Expanded to 1.25 GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9000 Pro. Both DVI & ADC ports
DVI to VGA adapter
L2: 256 kB
L2: 2 MB
Bus: 167 MHz
Combo (CD-RW/DVD) Drive
4 64-bit PCI slots
Internal 56k v.92 modem
FireWire ports: 2
USB ports: 4
Ethernet port

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 2 Mar 2006, 03:25
Post #6

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

That's it

Max the RAM to 2 GB, and you're flying smile.gif
Note it'll be noisy by today's standards

The only point I strongly advise you is to use it either in OS 9 or in OS X only, not both and switching. That's the thing that makes them behave crazily.

You'll be able to upgrade the processor later if need be, but by this time, you'll be on macintels. On the drives, it can be made better, but you'll be up and running with this. cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 14 May 2024, 22:39
- © MacMusic 1997-2008