MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help Using Digital Performer, transcribe a song off of a cd using dp
johnz128
post Wed 25 Jan 2006, 03:43
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 75,826

[B][FONT=Impact]
[SIZE=7][/SIZE

I hope someone out there has tried to do this using Digital performer 4.6. All I want to do is import a song from a cd and then sync the sequnencer with it, so I can play along with it. Then I want to use it to learn and transcribe the parts of the song, figuring out the drum part, bass part etc. Then I can record along side the orginal and later delete the orginal and use the parts I recorded as backing tracks . I am having trouble figuring out what to use to get a tempo map. There doesn't seem to be enough transits in the audio to use Beat detection and to be honest I have read the manual and still can't figure out that feature. Most everything I read on tempo with audio has to do with sampled audio cds that already have a tempo map. Please help.
John Z
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
renus
post Wed 22 Feb 2006, 16:58
Post #2

Member No.: 77,240

you have to find the bpm of the song manually, use "tap tempo" and try to move (with the zoom) right to the beat of the wavefom (without the snap)... listen to the clic of the song ... when you fill the clic inside the song, you have it!I do this sometimes, and it works.
cool.gif

+Quote Post
vonieto
post Thu 23 Feb 2006, 16:48
Post #3

Member No.: 75,760

No problem. There's a way around it. You just have to do a little bit of work. I called the “Nieto Technique.” First import the music in an audio track. Then create another track and record a click manually. You need a good drummer for this. Use claves or just drum sticks hitting each other. After recording a manual click track you can edit/move each click if it didn't landed precisely on the beat needed. Now, bounce both tracks, music and click to another audio track making sure the click is a little louder than the music. You should guess: this creates the transients you need. Now just "Find Beats" in the new music/click track and then "Find tempo." consider that the song you want to jam with might not have been recorded to a click at all. You have a couple of choices. If you want the sequence to be precisely to the music tempo choose to edit the conductor track. However, I prefer to tighten up the music a bit more. Instead of adjusting the conductor track, you can work with the tempo slider. When DP finds the tempo while in tempo slider mode (my jargon) it finds an average to the music, if you then adjust the sequence to the soundbite tempo, it sets the sequence to this average. Then you adjust the soundbite to the sequence. What you end up with is a music track that has a constant tempo throughout.
You might be interested to know that we used the Nieto technique to synch two tape reels. One had drums and other instruments that had been bounced to another reel where more overdubs were added. Add to the inconsistency of the analogue machine velocity (a tape machine just cannot be as consistent as digital recording) that the drums were not recorded to a click track so the tempo went up and down. It was a nightmare; this method saved the project.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 3 May 2024, 17:23
- © MacMusic 1997-2008