MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Midi Disks For Yamaha Piano, format floppy's&CD's for MIDI on Yamaha
GlassProf
post Thu 10 Nov 2005, 20:09
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 72,373

Hi, I'm totally new to this forum; my wife recently purchased a Yamaha piano with attached electronic devices to play the piano with MIDI disks (floppys and CD's). I would like to be able to produce disks with my G4 tower Mac that are compatible with and will work on the piano. The Mac will "write" to CD-R disks and has a floppy drive connected via USB. Are there application programs for the Macintosh that will properly format disks and transfer existing MIDI files onto them so they will be recognized and "played" by the Yamaha electronics? Any help would be much appreciated.

GlassProf...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lancet
post Fri 11 Nov 2005, 14:56
Post #2

Member No.: 46,480

I looked around but was unable to locate any specific info on what the format those disks might be.

Try to pop one in your mac and see what it is.

It MAY be std. DOS format with std. midi type 1 files. If so, that's easy . just format as a DOS disk and drag your midi files to it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Metro SE
post Fri 11 Nov 2005, 17:09
Post #3

Member No.: 20,523

QUOTE (GlassProf @ Nov 10 2005, 14:09)
Are there application programs for the Macintosh that will properly format disks and transfer existing MIDI files onto them so they will be recognized and "played" by the Yamaha electronics?  Any help would be much appreciated.

GlassProf...

If the yamaha is a disklavier then it has a proprietary format for recording but will accept MIDI files and play them back on properly formatted (and perhaps single sided) floppy disks. You may need to consult the manual on the formats that the piano accepts.

As for converting files to MIDI type 0 or editing MIDI files I would recommend Metro SE.

Any program should be able to directly write to the floppy disk once it is properly formatted.

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Fri 11 Nov 2005, 18:48
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

I never tried to do this myself, but whatever program you have on the mac, if it is a midi sequencing program, it should be able to take the midi information & save it as an SMF or "standard midi file" & therefore readable by ANY midi operated device.

+Quote Post
kevinr
post Fri 11 Nov 2005, 23:52
Post #5

Member No.: 45,762

As usual, the Mac will read disks formatted on the Clavinova, but not vice versa. I use a Superdrive to download MIDI files onto floppies. They then play perfectly on the Clav in the other room!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 20 Sep 2024, 00:36
- © MacMusic 1997-2008