MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie Using Logic Pro 7 / Ultrabeat
jewliscrumptious
post Mon 17 Oct 2005, 15:38
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 70,824

huh.gif Hello all - newbie here (please don't hate me cos i'm new) sad.gif

I have created a basic drum loop on the *fantastic* Ultrabeat step sequencer and want to add it to the project so I can chop/change where it start stops in the song.

It plays fine when I playback the main song but doenst appear as an editable track (i hope you understand what I mean??) so I cannot cut the loop out in certain parts.

I have read the manual and there aren't really any instructions on how to do this?

I am using mainly audio tracks (guitar/vocals/harmonies) and just 1 drum track.

Any advice would be very much appreciated

thanks

This post has been edited by jewliscrumptious: Mon 17 Oct 2005, 15:39
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
keylock7
post Mon 17 Oct 2005, 16:44
Post #2

Member No.: 71,301

i cant find ultrabeat! where is it?!

+Quote Post
lancet
post Mon 17 Oct 2005, 16:46
Post #3

Member No.: 46,480

Ultrabeat basically has two modes of operation. pattern and song mode.

in the lower left hand corner of UB, you'll see " pattern 1 (C-1) " that is the note that will trigger the current pattern. you'll also see along the bottom of UB "pattern mode"

in a nut shell you build your patterns in pattern mode and assign a midi note to each, then turn pattern mode off and trigger the pattern via midi on the UB track in the arrange window. You can also trigger the patterns with your keyboard.

There is also the behavior modifier, One shot trig, sustain etc. That will determine what happens when you trigger the pattern..

good luck..

This post has been edited by lancet: Mon 17 Oct 2005, 16:50

--------------------

+Quote Post
PhilTrueman
post Mon 17 Oct 2005, 19:25
Post #4

Member No.: 5,388

Greetings,

Jewliscrumptious - welcome. Ultrabeat (I love it!) is an 'audio instrument'. It works via MIDI. Please see the post from lancet.

In the audio instrument track - where you have put Ultrabeat as a plug-in - you need to add notes via a MIDI keyboard or with the mouse.

Select the track in the arrange window - by clicking on the left hand panel where the 'name' is - click on the 'pencil' in the Toobox - and then click the pencil on the actual track. A 'box' will appear ready for recording into. Make sure the track is armed for recording clicking the red 'R' and click the 'play' button on the transport bar - or just hit the asterisk key on your numeric keypad - you can then record from a MIDI keyboard. Hit the spacebar to stop.
Or - just double click on the 'box' you have placed there with the pencil tool and - still using the pencil - click notes in the matrix window where the equivalent drums are.

You'll have to 'play' the track to hear the notes. The keyboard map in Ultrabeat will show you which 'notes' are to be drawn/played to get the right drum part.

Does that make sense? If you are using Ultrabeat with MIDI notes - please make sure any 'patterns' within UB are turned off - otherwise you get both.

Keylock7 - select an audio instruement track and go to the insert plug-in box on the very lower left - follow the menus down to Stereo>Logic> and you will see Ultrabeat down at the bottom of the list.

Enjoy... don't forget - make a drum track in UB then add a compressor plug-in - it really rocks. biggrin.gif

PT

+Quote Post
jewliscrumptious
post Mon 17 Oct 2005, 21:53
Post #5

Thank you -

Will give it a try - & let you know how i get on.
Still trying to master the art of Midi.
Thank you

j
biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
jewliscrumptious
post Mon 17 Oct 2005, 22:00
Post #6

QUOTE (jewliscrumptious @ Oct 17 2005, 20:53)

You mentioned that you could can do it without a midi keyboard? Is this less complicated.
blink.gif

j x

+Quote Post
jewliscrumptious
post Tue 18 Oct 2005, 10:39
Post #7

biggrin.gif

Simpleton here again.... (sorry)
My Macmice Garagekey Midi Kboard hasn't arrived yet sad.gif so I'm reading up on getting this Ultrabeat right.

So...
I build the pattern with the step sequencer...
assign a midi note to that pattern ?

Is that correct?

Again apologies- very new to midi /logic 7

J x

+Quote Post
lancet
post Tue 18 Oct 2005, 15:50
Post #8

Member No.: 46,480

yes.

with pattern mode ON,( i said off before sorry) . you can either play/record the patterns with a midi keyboard or draw them in as notes.

NOTE: one thing that really confused me at first. The default patterns start at C-1, that's minus 1, not dash 1, so the patterns actually were 1 octave lower than I thought they were. Playing or drawing drawing C1 did nothing.

Load a preset kit and look at the lower left corner and you'll see
"1 (C-1) sq" that means the current pattern is playable with C-1.

Go to the arrange window and on the UB track draw in a midi object with the pencil tool , double click it and draw a note at C-1 , press play. The pattern should be playing.

BTW you can also just drag the pattern to the arrange window as well. This will copy the notes to the arrange window as a midi object.

The various modes of pattern triggering are. (you'll may need to play with these to see what I mean)

-One shot trig - the pattern will play in it's entirety when triggered by it's note.

-Sustain - the pattern will play for the duration of the triggering note, a whole note will play the pattern for 4 beats , a half note will play for 2 beats etc. assuming 4/4.

-Toggle- note on, note off. The triggering note starts the pattern , that note again stops it.

-Toggle on step 1 - this one still confuses me somewhat, so here it is from the plug-in reference

"• Toggle On 1—The behavior is as per Toggled mode except that the pattern change or
stop occurs the next time beat 1 is reached—at the beginning of the next pattern
cycle. "

I hope this has been helpful some how..
smile.gif

This post has been edited by lancet: Tue 18 Oct 2005, 16:01

--------------------

+Quote Post
jewliscrumptious
post Tue 18 Oct 2005, 15:55
Post #9

Very very helpful - thank you for explaining it in simpler terms....smile.gif

very much appreciated smile.gif

+Quote Post
dwwave
post Tue 18 Oct 2005, 20:36
Post #10

Rookie

Group: Banned
Member No.: 70,550

I was hopeless with midi at first now I just love it

I use a M-Audio Radium 49

I use Garageband as my sequencer program and use

the midi controller with software instruments

where I used to use loops I use midi!

Hang in there!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 5 Oct 2024, 21:06
- © MacMusic 1997-2008