MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clueless Newbie Questions, Karaokeing recordings.
zrobert
post Sun 9 Oct 2005, 15:56
Post #11

Group: Members
Member No.: 59,140

Correction; that's Jamey not James.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nickdaum
post Mon 10 Oct 2005, 00:32
Post #12

Rookie

Member No.: 66,263

Hi Ron

I'll give a try at SlowDowner as you suggest.

The MIDI concept seems interesting. It's new to me. I don't have any MIDI device besides my Mac. However you can play MIDI files with audio apps.

My favorite musicians are John Lee Hooker, Otis Rush, T-Bone Walker, Luther Johnson, Pinetop Perkins, Champion Jack Dupree, Howlin' Wolf, Big Bill Broonzy, Jimmy Cotton, Johnny Copeland, Lightnin' Hopkins, to name a few and there a some specific songs I would like to play. Do you think I could find the MIDI files and where?

Thanks for the guitar recommendations. The only gimmicks I need are the instrument and a mike. I have a FireWire Solo and an excellent sound system.
BTW: a Mac + iTunes (when it doesn't mess around) + a FireWire Solo (or any other product of the line) = a super HIFI output, the best I ever plugged on my amplifier. I delivers the best analog sound I know.

If I had to purchase a sound system today I would go for some studio amplified speakers. But that's another story since what I have is almost perfect

Back to guitars. If I may ask you more questions:
* It's unclear for me how a guitar should be more fit for rock, blues or folk, etc. I understand when it comes to metal but is it absolutely relevant? Since I want to play just plain blues, are there guitars that will do the job really better and some that are not fit.
* I read you should chose rather double mikes rather than simple ones. I suppose the quality is important too, so how to know about it?
* What about brands like Ibanez, Yamaha, Gretsch or Cort?

Nick

+Quote Post
nickdaum
post Mon 10 Oct 2005, 01:00
Post #13

Rookie

Hi zrobert

I just checked Jamey Aebersold’s Music Minus One site. I couldn't believe I would come across so many stuff I like and I even didn't browse it entirely!

Good tip thanks.

However I often feel a little dummy on certain sites: what does the product exactly consists of. I understand there is a book. Is there a CD to be able to play along with? Certain sites seem to feel it's so self-evident they don't tell what they do like Ford doesn't need to say it manufactures cars.

Nick

+Quote Post
ronaldl
post Mon 10 Oct 2005, 03:04
Post #14

Member No.: 12,933

Hi Nick,

If you'd like to try MIDI, after downloading Amazing Slow Downer try Sweet MIDI X from the same site. Then go here:

http://blues.mididb.com/

Click on John Lee Hooker or Howling Wolf, then option/click on the MIDI file you want to download. Next, launch Sweet MIDI X, click on MIDI>MIDI Set-up>Quicktime, then open the file you just downloaded and hit play. You'll see all the instruments on different tracks and can mute or turn down the guitars. There are lots of free MIDI files available; I would suggest Googling "blues MIDI files" for more. Part of the beauty of MIDI, by the way, is how easily you can change the key or tempo.

The Jamey Aebersold books do come with play-along audio CD's and are excellent, but I must warn you that they are jazz-oriented. If you don't mind that they're well worth a try.

Re: guitars, there are so many good options. (That's partly why we guitarists tend to become collectaholics.) Although on stage I've mostly favored a strat, I also own a Les Paul and an Ibanez Artist. The main difference sound-wise is single coil vs. humbucking pick-ups (think Stevie Ray vs. Allman Bros.) Also, there's solid body vs. hollow-body (strat or LP vs. Gibson ES-335.) Humbuckers give you a fatter sound, but beyond that it's really personal preference. SRV, Hendrix, Clapton, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray all play(ed) strats. B.B. King plays a hollow-body, while Gary Moore and The Allmans have favored Les Pauls. They all sound great. LP's are very heavy with more sustain, while strats are lighter with contoured bodies that are very comfortable to hold and play. You have to decide what's right for you. Whatever you get, you'll want to make sure you use fairly light gauge strings, e.g. 10-46, because you'll be doing a lot of string-bending playing the blues.

I hope this is of some help.

Ron

+Quote Post
zrobert
post Mon 10 Oct 2005, 09:15
Post #15

Member No.: 59,140

I think you should take a few lessons. Jump in and get you feet wet with a teacher.
If you have good rapport with your teacher, follow his advice then go from there.

The best therapy and the most rewarding in the world is to be able to sit down with the instrument of your choice and play to your hearts content. All it takes is desire. If you have that, the rest will come!

zrobert

+Quote Post
rencelupato
post Tue 11 Oct 2005, 07:17
Post #16

Member No.: 71,061

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie here...and I am looking for Jean Claude Lupato...

Anyone who knows his email address and other details....

My name is Laurence Lupato
YM ID: rence_lupato

thanks!

+Quote Post
nickdaum
post Tue 11 Oct 2005, 13:24
Post #17

Rookie

Hi Ron

I had a look at the site and saw interesting stuff. I'll explore more in that direction.

Thanks for your advices about guiars. I played piano and sang as teenager, but never did since. I have a better feeling about guitar today than about piano. Yet I don't even know to tune one so it's difficult to go in a shop and try one to make my own opinion ;-)

When you are talking about strats and lespaul is it the marque or the type because they were imitated.
I don't like neither looks so I don't care about that aspect. It's like if I had to choose between Superman's outfit or Batman's. I'd rather go for jeans ans T-shirt ;-) Yet Superman's gear is probably quite comfortable (not to mention it allows you to fly).
If I get it right, it won't make a big difference for a beginner like me and blues is pretty much straightforward, using little effects anyway.

Thanks for your input

Hi Rob

I'll take lessons for sure.

As a matter of fact I'm always extremely slow and cautious when I have a project, trying to study all the options. I never go by my impulse when I have little clue about the matter. It proved rather productive so far. And I'm not in a rush anyway.

Nick

+Quote Post
nickdaum
post Sat 15 Oct 2005, 14:54
Post #18

Rookie

Hi all

More about electric guitars.
I went yesterday to a guitar shop. The guy advised me to start with an acoustic guitar in the first place.
I asked about electric ones anyway, saying that the shape or color didn't matter to me. He said an electric guitar is just a board with strings on it and that the only thing that matters is the mikes quality. That's what I suspected already.

Any thought about that? Which vendors have the best reputation in that respect?

TIA

Nick

+Quote Post
gonechan
post Sat 15 Oct 2005, 15:28
Post #19

Member No.: 17,017

hi nick

well ,the sales person that told you that should be selling chips at the McDonalds rather than selling musical instruments i think.
there are many factors that make a guitar's sound,for example the type of wood it is made from,if the parts are glued toghether or are screwed,and of course the pickups ,but the pickups basically amplify the results of the above.a guitar made with bad quality materials will never have a good,stable tone ,it will never be in tune.
now about getting an acoustic guitar first,it all depends ,if you intend to just ply the electric i don't see the point on getting one ,but if you're also interested in playing diferent sounds and styles ,is better to go first with an acoustic(spanish guitar) and learn some classical music on it ,it will make the perspective on things a lot wider and you'll learn the proper way of positioning your hands,wrists and how to control the instrument in many ways.
maybe to have a clearer perspective ,it will be helpful to contact you're future teacher(if you have one) and consult him .
good luck!

+Quote Post
nickdaum
post Sat 15 Oct 2005, 16:47
Post #20

Rookie

Hi

It seems the guy is not for the electric thing.
My intent is to plays blues. I don't like classical spanish music that much and it seems it needs virtuosity I doubt I'll be ever able to achieve.
I like the slow tempo in blues and an electric guitar seems to me more suited to get the sound you find usually in blues.

Of course the downside is that it needs a lot of hardware around to make it work. You can't just sit somewhere and play. I saw some guitar can have a headset plugged directly into it though.

Nick

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Welcome Guest
Contribute
Lo-Fi Version - Sun 7 Jul 2024, 22:40
- © PcMusic 1997-2007