MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Inquiries On Upcoming Os X Hardware/software?
lantzn
post Tue 2 Jul 2002, 19:47
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,347

Hi All,
I'm not new to the Mac but am at audio imputing. I have a 16 yr old son who is getting into his electric guitar fairly fast. I am interested in bringing his and a few other friends music into my machine. There is an excellent article in the May 2002 MacAddict magazine (page 20) for bringing audio into a Mac. It covers just about every budget for home use. In a nutshell the three pieces of hardware the article mentions are the iMic $35, MBox $495 and Motu 828 $795. The last two come with audio software. I like the Motu 828 with it's firewire capabilities and multi-connections. I have heard great things about DigiDesign ProTools, the MBox comes with the LE version.

Any word on when MOTU will be releasing the 828 (or similar firewire device) that works with OS X? I could boot into OS 9 but have recently upgraded all my 2D/3D graphics software to X versions and really don't want to do that. Since I have nothing invested in music hardware or software at this time, I'm more then willing to wait a little longer for X versions of everything. Any other company working on firewire devices? With Apple's purchase of Emagic's Logic it would be cool to see a iAudio or iAudioPro software and a Apple branded firewire box come out of it.

Any recommendations on whats in the works for X?

My setup:
G4 400MHz sawtooth
1.5GB ram
80 7200rpm and 60GB 5400rpm Maxtor ATA drives
Radeon 8500AGP and 7000PCI running dual 17" NEC monitors

--------------------
----

Relax, don't worry, have my homebrew.

Russian Imperial Stout (aged 1 year) currently on tap.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
filarion
post Wed 10 Jul 2002, 08:56
Post #2

Member No.: 5,666

I´d just like to throw in two other solutions that I know work fine:

the emagic EMI 2|6 USB interface (see their website). It has OSX drivers, 2 inputs, 6 outputs - mainly for surround naturally, but there is the EMI 6|2 coming out this quarter which might work better for you.

And then there´s the ultimate in (affordable) audio recording, imo clearly a lot better than the 828; the RME Hammerfall DSP with the Multiface. www.rme-audio.de has the details - should be roughly the same price as the 828, but with twice or thrice the connections, lower latency and no Firewire HD problems. Their OSX drivers are only in alpha stage, but I guess that once Jaguar is out they´ll have the final ones ready.

+Quote Post
damann
post Fri 12 Jul 2002, 03:23
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,044

emagic and steinberg are definitely ahead here, as usual. rolleyes.gif
cubase sx is the first x native soft studio, but logic seems destined to win the game in the second half! laugh.gif
there's obviously no good reason for going back to 9.2 at this point,
all the best apps are currently happy in classic. cool.gif
emagic are supplying the hardware solutions at the moment but motu, digi etc WILL have to make the effort!
think carbon for now...

--------------------
one for all and all for one...

+Quote Post
filarion
post Fri 12 Jul 2002, 08:56
Post #4

Member No.: 5,666

maybe emagic will still beat steinberg to the punch - Logic 5.2 is due out in August, haven´t heard any specific Cubase SX release date on the Mac yet.

Midiman just released OSX drivers for most of their products as well. Slowly but surely we´re getting there :)

+Quote Post
damann
post Sat 13 Jul 2002, 04:17
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,044

apple seem to be beating everybody to the punch! rolleyes.gif
with emagic written on the gloves. laugh.gif
hey! it's not the fact that i use apple and emagic, i just like solutions!
midiman seem to be making an early lead here, along with emagic...
apparently, we have to call them m-audio now! hey...
"whoever wins the race wins it", just make sure you placed your bet on them! tongue.gif
"x" is soooooo cool, it's what we payed our money for, it's what mac users
endorse! ahead of the game as usual, tongue.gif
the release of 10.2 is more important than MY birthday right now!!!

--------------------
one for all and all for one...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 27 Apr 2024, 07:25
- © MacMusic 1997-2008