MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> G5 + 002 + External Hd Setup, What's the best way to set it up?
ourmanflinty
post Fri 19 Aug 2005, 12:22
Post #11

Group: Members
Member No.: 48,982

Wow I just noticed, lookit all the virtual memory being used!! No wonder, you're choking the poor thing. Ha ha hold on i'll get a calculator...no no I've stopped counting at 4gigs!! blink.gif

OS tiger will use virtual memory even if you have 8 gB fitted but your ratio is like 8 to 1!

Add as much as you can afford, a couple of 1gig sticks at least but things will improve with just another 512...

--------------------
Simon Flinn
Install & Support Eng, Maintenance, Analog & Digi Electronics
Dist/Dlr background, Fast & Friendly, London & SE Based.
freelance studio support click here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cybercampbell
post Fri 19 Aug 2005, 12:33
Post #12

Member No.: 68,865

What should I do about the virtaul memory...is it helping or hindering?

What about the dock (which I hate!!!!) does it use allot of resources?

can I get rid of it?

I also run Butler which I like...but they say it uses almoust 0% CPU.

should I ditch it too?

and what about dashboard....what's the story with that? If I run no Widgets then can I get rid of it?

Cheers
Cybercampbell

+Quote Post
ourmanflinty
post Fri 19 Aug 2005, 12:47
Post #13

Member No.: 48,982

The dock always gets in the way doesn't it? Try just ditching the widgets, wothout them I don't expect dashboard will do much, if you can quit it, then do. Things like dock just re-launch as soon as you quit them.

You have Kontact too, another RAM demander unless you stream off disk and then it'll be the same disk as the other audio I bet...

Digi set a limit of 24 16 bit 44.1 tracks off a firewire 400 drive, this equates to 12 88.2 16 bit tracks, or 8 24 bit 88.2 or 16 24 bit 44.1, in practice you can get a little more but it will hiccup every now and again. So with PT and Kontact and Reason pulling data off that drive you'll soon max it out.

Spread the load and more ram. I think in a properly set up system on a screamer machine like yours you'll be able to run widgets too but lets see how you get on...

good luck

--------------------
Simon Flinn
Install & Support Eng, Maintenance, Analog & Digi Electronics
Dist/Dlr background, Fast & Friendly, London & SE Based.
freelance studio support click here

+Quote Post
cybercampbell
post Fri 19 Aug 2005, 13:04
Post #14

Member No.: 68,865

AHHHH!!!!!

I've done those things but it's still giving me the CPU error

I do have Kontact but I havn't had it running on the G5 yet....More lovely problems to come then? when I do get it it going is it best to run the samples from the FW drive or internal?

It won't play the audio from the internal drive for more then 1 second unless I have the CPU at 99% in PT.

I'll keep trying things.

Thanks for all your help. I'm in South London...maybe I should get you around smile.gif

Cybercampbell

+Quote Post
CanadaRAM
post Mon 3 Oct 2005, 05:06
Post #15

Rookie

Member No.: 55,783

QUOTE (ourmanflinty @ Aug 19 2005, 08:56)
Try using seperate ports for your firewire devices. If your drive is fw800 capable then put that on the 800 bus, the 002 was designed for 400 ports so stick that on there.

No that won't help -- although the ports are separate, they use the same controller. (Note: This is true of the PowerBook G4, I haven't yet found the reference for the PowerMac G5)

Rule of thumb is that you should not stream audio data and hard drive data through the same controller. Therefore, use your internal drive for the recording on current projects. Later on, you can move it to the external Firewire to make room and for backup.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 27 Apr 2024, 17:09
- © MacMusic 1997-2008