MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> G5 + 002 + External Hd Setup, What's the best way to set it up?
cybercampbell
post Thu 18 Aug 2005, 01:35
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 68,865

Hi all

I just have a simple question...how should I set my system up?

I have:

Mac G5 Dual 2Ghz
Digi002
Internal 160Gig HD (with Tiger on it)
Internal 160Gig HD (spare)
External FW HD (Currently my Audio Drive)

I get Drive too slow errors and I still get CPU errors which I hate and was the reason for upgrading to the G5.

What is the best setup? The G5 has 2 Firewire posts, 1x 400 Mbit/s and 1x 800 Mbit/s ( I know you guys know this ).

The Digi002 has 2x Firewire 400Mbit/s Ports.

I can have my audio drive as the Internal main drive, internal secondry drive or external Firewire drive 400Mbit/s or 800Mbit/s.

I also have a 6 pin to 9 pin firewire cable.

Any ideas?

Is it better to run the 002 on the 800Mbit/s port or the Audio Drive? what need to work faster?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Cybercampbell
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shawf
post Fri 19 Aug 2005, 06:24
Post #2

Member No.: 68,622

Hi at this point in time according to sound on sound magazine you can't run pro tools with tiger they said this sohuld change in the near future, it appears digi design are a bit slow on catch up.

Take care
Flash smile.gif

--------------------
Flash[SIZE=7][COLOR=blue][LIST]
[/LIST]
[FONT=Courier]

+Quote Post
formatj
post Fri 19 Aug 2005, 07:15
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 5,658

QUOTE (shawf @ Aug 19 2005, 15:24)
at this point in time according to sound on sound magazine you can't run pro tools with tiger they said this sohuld change in the near future, it appears digi design are a bit slow on catch up.

not according to this

+Quote Post
formatj
post Fri 19 Aug 2005, 07:17
Post #4

Group Icon

Cybercampbell, are you running 6.9.2 ProTools LE?

I would recommend you use your secondary internal drive for Audio and connect your 002 via the Firewire 400 port.

+Quote Post
ourmanflinty
post Fri 19 Aug 2005, 09:56
Post #5

Member No.: 48,982

Try using seperate ports for your firewire devices. If your drive is fw800 capable then put that on the 800 bus, the 002 was designed for 400 ports so stick that on there.

Out of interest, how many tracks and at what bit depth and sample rate are you running when you get drive too slow messages, and what drive were you using at that time, the external, was it chained off the back of the 002?

Also what version PT software?

--------------------
Simon Flinn
Install & Support Eng, Maintenance, Analog & Digi Electronics
Dist/Dlr background, Fast & Friendly, London & SE Based.
freelance studio support click here

+Quote Post
cybercampbell
post Fri 19 Aug 2005, 11:02
Post #6

Thanks for the advice.

I'm running PT 6.9.2 (Tiger compatable)

at the moment i'm running the digi002 on the FW400 port and I have my sample libraries running on and external drive on the other FW400 port and I have the master drive (containing the OS) as my audio drive.

Is it better to have the Audio drive on the secondry drive?

I only have 512MB of RAM...could that cause the problem?

am I correct in saying that because the digi002 has a FW400 then there is no point running it on the FW800 port in the G5 (with a 9 to 6 pin lead)? or would I get better performance from the FW800 Port?

I usualy run at 24bit and I get the error message even if i'm only running 10 tracks.

I sometimes run Reason 3 for some basic programming and that seems to make the problem alot worse....but the thing is that the CPU monitor in PT is not even half way, even when Reason 3 is wired in. I launched Activity monitor and the PT is between 30 to 35% and Reason is ony about 1 to 3% usage....how come I get CPU errors in PT?

Here are all the details acording to Activity Monitor:

Here are the error mesages I get in Protools:

I get this and I don't even have any plugins inserted!!
and the buffer is set full...like this:

which sucks when I need to record due to the latency

I also get these alot:

Here is a Hardware overview of my machine:

And my Ram overview:

Is this enough Ram? could this be causing my problems? is there better Ram then this?

also...I thought I would add that I've tryed having both 0%CPU usage in Reason as well as 70% (full) and this made no difference.

and also tried ticking and unticking the box "Use Hi-Res Samples" also no difference.

WHat should I set here in the reason prefs for the best performance?

I hope this make sense.

Cheers
Cybercampbell

This post has been edited by cybercampbell: Fri 19 Aug 2005, 11:06

+Quote Post
ourmanflinty
post Fri 19 Aug 2005, 11:59
Post #7

Member No.: 48,982

Wow lots of info!
Are the refils on the same drive as the PT audio? Are you using samples in PT as well as audio tracks? Basically spread the load, move the refils and the reason sound files to a different drive , like the spare internal. This internal will be much faster than the firewire drive anyway. The 002 will not run any better on the fw800 bus. The drive might, is it a fw800 drive?
The running out of cpu power is a funny one but try lowering the limit ok? Try 50%. Lower latencies also up the ante there and tax the cpu. Lower the limit in Reason too to stop them both competing for space. At leat till things stabilize and then move them up..You also have a few widgets running there, get rid. You need to strip the system down to minmize possible conflicts, I don't use tiger yet ( PT TDM mix on quicksilver DP800, PT 6.4.1, 10.3.8 and PT 5.13 on OS 9.2.2 ) but I'll bet a pound to a bucket of ferrets that they like a bit of resource when it comes time to update and they will get right up Pro Tools nose especially when sucking data off the net and waiting for busy servers etc, constantly bothering the OS for cpu time it's like running hundreds, well, you know, a couple, of progs at a time all fighting for net and cpu and memory and your poor DAW is trying it's hardest to grab bandwith to protect your session.
You can up the DAE buffer size from level 2 to higher, this will make drive acces easier as it buffers more and reduces drive access overhead, it'll make playback slower to start on heavy sessions and it will need more RAM. With your track count though I'm tempted to say lower it to free up ram and move the audio to the spare internal, much faster than a fw400 drive..
No it's not enough RAM, nowhere near, this half your problem. 512 was hardly enough in OS9 with Pro Tools and DAE. Tiger is very hungry, so is PT, so is Reason. You have a cpu based audio engine in PT that is trying to allocate ram for its hardware buffers and each track needs it, plugs need it, os needs it, programs need. Double it at least, much more if you can afford it.
Pro Tools and Reason like to pre-allocate themselves resources so they can guarantee performance. So when the cpu tells them there's not enough availiable they cry, even if they don't need it right now. You're lucky, back in the day everything used to just freeze... sad.gif

To summarize...

More RAM and leave the widgets in your beer can laugh.gif

--------------------
Simon Flinn
Install & Support Eng, Maintenance, Analog & Digi Electronics
Dist/Dlr background, Fast & Friendly, London & SE Based.
freelance studio support click here

+Quote Post
formatj
post Fri 19 Aug 2005, 12:00
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE (cybercampbell @ Aug 19 2005, 20:02)
at the moment i'm running the digi002 on the FW400 port and I have my sample libraries running on and external drive on the other FW400 port and I have the master drive (containing the OS) as my audio drive.

Is it better to have the Audio drive on the secondry drive?

I only have 512MB of RAM...could that cause the problem?

am I correct in saying that because the digi002 has a FW400 then there is no point running it on the FW800 port in the G5 (with a 9 to 6 pin lead)? or would I get better performance from the FW800 Port?

I usualy run at 24bit and I get the error message even if i'm only running 10 tracks.

You will get better performance running your audio from your secondary internal audio drive.

If your FW drive has a firewire 800 port on it use it if you need to use this drive.

You will not get any better performance running the 002 on the firewire 800 port. Definitely use the firewire 400 port for the 002.

I would also advise you to increase your RAM to 1.5 GB (i.e. add 2 x 512MB).

Have you searched the digidesign user community forums?

+Quote Post
cybercampbell
post Fri 19 Aug 2005, 12:03
Post #9

Just a thought......could the amount of plugins in my plugins dirrectory have anything to do with it?

Cheers
cybercampbell

+Quote Post
cybercampbell
post Fri 19 Aug 2005, 12:21
Post #10

ignor that last post....i didn't see the new answers.

I'm on to it and thanks for all the help.

action i'll take:

1. Add 1 gig of RAM (2 x 512MB) totaling 1.5 gig
2. Make my secondry Internal drive my Audio Drive (beter then FW 400/800 external)
3. increase the DAE buffer size from level 2 to higher in PT(to the highest or half way in between?)
4. Put the CPU usage limit to half way in both PT and Reason
5. Run all my samples (for Kontact in PT) and Reason Refills from the External FW800 Drive.
6. Get rid of all the Widgets

Cheers
Cybercampbell

This post has been edited by cybercampbell: Fri 19 Aug 2005, 12:26

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 27 Apr 2024, 21:08
- © MacMusic 1997-2008